Humidity

Chloe98

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello,
I have a new leopard tortoise but there is so much conflicting advice about humidity and temperature.
can anyone tell me what the humidity should be? My tortoise is in a 3ft viv

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You won't find much conflicting advice on this forum about that! Your tortoise will do best in 80%+ humidity with daily soaks/baths. Leopard tortoises thrive in humid, moist conditions with warm temperatures. The conflicting advice you see is from the old, and outdated information that is so prevelant with so many "tortoise people" because it was so commonly thought and written that tortoises are from dry areas of the world. In more recent times, many of the more progressive tortoise keepers, frustrated with the unnatural pyramiding and growth of most all captive tortoises, started questioning this and started doing studies and research into how tortoise really live and survive. We found they actually hide from the "normal conditions" we cite as their natural environment, and really only thrive during the wet and warm season. The stay hidden in humid hides and thick brush cover most of the time.

Read the care sheets here and your tortoise will do its best. There are several things I would certainly change in your enclosure, but you are on the right track. Read this, then come back with any and all questions.