humidity

Crush da Baum

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville
I would find the name of that substrate and do some research. Some can be toxic and or cause impaction. Some substrates I recommend are: pure cypress mulch, orchid bark, and coco fiber. Humidity for a baby must be 80%-90% or above. Lower humidity will cause pyramiding. Remember to keep ambient temp around 80 though.

northern ireland
I would find the name of that substrate and do some research. Some can be toxic and or cause impaction. Some substrates I recommend are: pure cypress mulch, orchid bark, and coco fiber. Humidity for a baby must be 80%-90% or above. Lower humidity will cause pyramiding. Remember to keep ambient temp around 80 though.
oh don’t worry it’s from our local reptile store and is specifically made for tortoises, just went down and found the bag, it’s call tortoise life by prorep and thank you!

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
You would be surprised how many ”reptile” experts especially from pet stores have no idea what they are talking about. Even though coil type UVB bulbs and ramped water bowls are for “tortoises” they are still very harmful.

northern ireland
You would be surprised how many ”reptile” experts especially from pet stores have no idea what they are talking about. Even though coil type UVB bulbs and ramped water bowls are for “tortoises” they are still very harmful.
yeah i understand that, but i know the owner is a dedicated reptile lover and knows his stuff- it’s quite a small shop and he dosent sell them just for the money and he dosent not care what happens to them, he makes sure they have the proper equipment before he sells them :))

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
oh don’t worry it’s from our local reptile store and is specifically made for tortoises, just went down and found the bag, it’s call tortoise life by prorep and thank you!
Sorry, but that guy you think knows his stuff is trying to kill your tortoise...
I copied this from their website

(Tortoise life is a 50:50 mixture of high quality top soil and play sand with a little limestone grit added to provide some Calcium if the substrate is eaten. This mixture simulates the texture and moisture retention characteristics of the soils found in their natural habitats much more closely than other substrates.)

Sand is one of the biggest no no's there is. I'd get my tortoise off that crap before he gets an impaction and dies.

northern ireland
yeah i understand that, but i know the owner is a dedicated reptile lover and knows his stuff- it’s quite a small shop and he dosent sell them just for the money and he dosent not care what happens to them, he makes sure they have the proper equipment before he sells them :))
Sorry, but that guy you think knows his stuff is trying to kill your tortoise...
I copied this from their website

(Tortoise life is a 50:50 mixture of high quality top soil and play sand with a little limestone grit added to provide some Calcium if the substrate is eaten. This mixture simulates the texture and moisture retention characteristics of the soils found in their natural habitats much more closely than other substrates.)

Sand is one of the biggest no no's there is. I'd get my tortoise off that crap before he gets an impaction and dies.
thank you for your concern. I will try to find another substrate for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank you for your concern. I will try to find another substrate for him.
I'm glad you are receptive to what we are telling you.

I've seen so many sand impaction cases. Its awful. Tortoises should never be housed on sand. Nor soil for that matter. And if they are, it is a TERRIBLE idea to put in those limestone bits and encourage a tortoise to eat its sandy substrate to satisfy its calcium cravings. That is pure LUNACY! Whoever came up with that idea should be smacked upside the head. Pet shops are infamous for giving bad advice, selling dangerous products, and generally having no idea what they are talking about when it comes to tortoises. This is true all over the whole world, but especially prevalent in the UK and the US.

To answer your original question: Ambient humidity for Russian babies is not critical as long as they have damp substrate to dig into and a humid hide to hang out in. 50-70% is a good range to shoot for.

All that and more is explained here: