Humidity

LeeB60

Location (City and/or State)
Neola Ut
Hi it's me again, I've tried everything I've got new substrate I have covered the top of his enclosure except for where the lights sit I have done everything that I've read to do on here but I cannot get his humidity up I don't know for sure but it's supposed to be but I'm sure it's not supposed to be 21. Would it be okay if I got a humidifier to set beside his enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The opening for the lights is acting like a chimney and sucking the warm, moist air up and out.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
The opening for the lights is acting like a chimney and sucking the warm, moist air up and out.
Thank you, so how do I get him light and up and a basking light because his enclosure is not deep enough to put anything underneath the top. I'm trying to find someone to build me a tortoise table or a bigger enclosure but I can't find anybody so I'm at a loss now. Can I use a humidifier?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, so how do I get him light and up and a basking light because his enclosure is not deep enough to put anything underneath the top. I'm trying to find someone to build me a tortoise table or a bigger enclosure but I can't find anybody so I'm at a loss now. Can I use a humidifier?
Humidifiers are fine to use in the room, but I would not blow it directly into the enclosure.

What species are we talking about?

What are you measuring humidity with? Where does this hygrometer sit in the enclosure?

Is the substrate properly damp all over? Is there a humid hide?

LeeB60

Neola Ut
He's a Russian tortoise I don't know how old he is. I have a digital humidity thing with the thermometer and it's just sitting on one end of his enclosure on the on the glass or the little plexiglass window. I just put new substrate in last night and this morning my orchid bark, it feels pretty moist to me. I still have to make him a hide I can only find white dish pans and the one I did have for him he grew out of. His face is looking a little better and he's eating more but he's still sleeping a lot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's a Russian tortoise I don't know how old he is. I have a digital humidity thing with the thermometer and it's just sitting on one end of his enclosure on the on the glass or the little plexiglass window. I just put new substrate in last night and this morning my orchid bark, it feels pretty moist to me. I still have to make him a hide I can only find white dish pans and the one I did have for him he grew out of. His face is looking a little better and he's eating more but he's still sleeping a lot.
An adult Russian on damp substrate with a humid hide and a water dish available should be fine at any humidity. I wouldn't stress too much over this.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
An adult Russian on damp substrate with a humid hide and a water dish available should be fine at any humidity. I wouldn't stress too much over this.
Thank you. I've been up every 2 hours all night making sure his temps are good. I'm still spraying his head and legs with the olive oil and water solution. I guess I will do that until the white patches are gone.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you. I've been up every 2 hours all night making sure his temps are good. I'm still spraying his head and legs with the olive oil and water solution. I guess I will do that until the white patches are gone.
Please post another picture of his head and face with the white patches. We still don't know what it is.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
These are the best pictures I can get, he's very Wiggly. Some of the white is probably his calcium cuz he digs right into his food. I mix it in it as much as I can though. The closest reptile vet or exotic vet to me is 150 miles away. I'm really worried about him and I've tried everything people have suggested. He doesn't do anything but sleep in the corner and he tries to stay away from any of the light. It's almost like he wants to be cold. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Attachments

• 20221115_151958.jpg
    20221115_151958.jpg
    717.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221115_151952.jpg
    20221115_151952.jpg
    671.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221115_151943.jpg
    20221115_151943.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221115_151936.jpg
    20221115_151936.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 7

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Every once in awhile I seem to get a faint smell of ammonia like not really strong but just a faint smell of it. I've cleaned and disinfected his enclosure. All of his dishes are always washed before they're put in there. He gets soaked every other day for at least 15 minutes. He starts getting Wiggly and trying to climb out after he's in the water 15 minutes. When I'm soaking him I keep him under a lamp and I keep his water warm. I'm really afraid he's dying!

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Every once in awhile I seem to get a faint smell of ammonia like not really strong but just a faint smell of it. I've cleaned and disinfected his enclosure. All of his dishes are always washed before they're put in there. He gets soaked every other day for at least 15 minutes. He starts getting Wiggly and trying to climb out after he's in the water 15 minutes. When I'm soaking him I keep him under a lamp and I keep his water warm. I'm really afraid he's dying!
Could he possibly be shedding?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
PM me. I have a Russian that has been with me 15+ years inside for the winter and not brumating. I may be able to help and guide you.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Do you know anything about shipping a tort? I'm thinking I need to rehome Little Dude. I can't seem to care for him right. Now he has an icky nose. I'd rather find him a better home and have him be healthy and happy. It's going to be hard, but I think I may need to.😢

Bronzo

WA
Do you know anything about shipping a tort? I'm thinking I need to rehome Little Dude. I can't seem to care for him right. Now he has an icky nose. I'd rather find him a better home and have him be healthy and happy. It's going to be hard, but I think I may need to.😢
Find someone local, just make sure they have knowledge of how to take care of him. You don’t want to ship a sick tortoise to stressful. It is hard! Raises kids are much easier! Best of luck finding a good home!

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Find someone local, just make sure they have knowledge of how to take care of him. You don’t want to ship a sick tortoise to stressful. It is hard! Raises kids are much easier! Best of luck finding a good home!
Thank you. I hate to do it, I love the little guy. Whatevers best for him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's nothing wrong with your russian tortoise. That's just the way they look. Keep him and enjoy him. And when the weather warms up set him up outside.

LeeB60

Neola Ut
Thank you for that. Believer it or not I have been crying since yesterday. Maybe it's silly, but I would miss him sooo much. Is there a way I can get him to be more active ? He use to motor all over. Now he just sleeps. I have to put him at his food so he'll eat. Maybe he's in winter mode?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you for that. Believer it or not I have been crying since yesterday. Maybe it's silly, but I would miss him sooo much. Is there a way I can get him to be more active ? He use to motor all over. Now he just sleeps. I have to put him at his food so he'll eat. Maybe he's in winter mode?
This is the time of year they brumate. If you want to keep him awake you have to pester him. Keep his light on for 14 hours a day and pick him up several times throughout the day and tell him what a pretty boy he is. Scratch his neck,rub his shell. Place him in front of the food.

But there are some russians that just insist on brumating. If yours is one of those you may have to place him in a box in a dark, quiet closet for a couple weeks, then wake him up. This may fool him into thinking he brumated. But when you get him up, his environment has to feel spring-like.