Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
View attachment 17334

View attachment 17335

I have attached two pictures of my warm mist humidifier. A side view and top view. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I can set/rig this up so it puts humidity into my enclosure (Its not built yet sorry no pics) possibly using PVC pipes or something?

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Foil around the top taped to PVC that goes into the enclosure, but it will be COLD, so make sure to watch your temps or push it into the substrate through a heating mat

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Good Morning Dana
The ideal placement would be inside the enclosure... If you place it on the outside of the enclosure you will have to pipe the humid air flow... Piping the humid air flow would cool the heated air and even possibly create a distilling effect taking the humidity out of the air flow... Result would be water dripping into your enclosure...
What kind of enclosure are you planning on building???
Because of the open nature of the tortoise enclosures, currently recommend in the industry, dampening the substrate increases the humidity within 3-6 inches off the substrate surface, depending on the height of its walls... High walls limit air flow increasing the height of the humidity off the substrate to a point... limiting the air flow does a couple of things one it decreases evaporation, and allows air to stagnate... warm stagnated humid air is where fungi and other nasty organisms like to grow... heating the substrate either under or over increases the humidity...
Some on humidity... Humidity is created by evaporating water into the air... The more enclosed the area is the the more saturated you can get the air... Thus higher the humidity... To evaporate water, to raise humidity, you can do a couple of things... one heat the water... by placing heat device under or near the water source causing the water to evaporate will raise the humidity... another way is to increase the water's surface area... This can be done in a number of manners... place a large body of water in the enclosure, with more water exposed to the air... dampen the substrate, wet substrate increases the water surface area for evaporation to take place... spray water directly into the air, the smaller the partical the greater the surface area...

Increasing airflow decreases the temperature through evaporation... dries the environment...
The nature of heat is to rise,
And the nature of humidity... basically to rise... Here is the concept that we all learned in school, diffussion... water molecules diffuse through the air from a higher concentration to a lower concentration, thus a low humidity...
In your case Dana, in my opinion, using your warm air humidifer, you would need to cover your enclosure to capture the humidity and heat you are creating... If not your are just "blowing" your warm humid air into the room... Inceasing the humidity and warmth of the room...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Turtlechasers said:
Good Morning Dana
The ideal placement would be inside the enclosure... If you place it on the outside of the enclosure you will have to pipe the humid air flow... Piping the humid air flow would cool the heated air and even possibly create a distilling effect taking the humidity out of the air flow... Result would be water dripping into your enclosure...
What kind of enclosure are you planning on building???
Because of the open nature of the tortoise enclosures, currently recommend in the industry, dampening the substrate increases the humidity within 3-6 inches off the substrate surface, depending on the height of its walls... High walls limit air flow increasing the height of the humidity off the substrate to a point... limiting the air flow does a couple of things one it decreases evaporation, and allows air to stagnate... warm stagnated humid air is where fungi and other nasty organisms like to grow... heating the substrate either under or over increases the humidity...
Some on humidity... Humidity is created by evaporating water into the air... The more enclosed the area is the the more saturated you can get the air... Thus higher the humidity... To evaporate water, to raise humidity, you can do a couple of things... one heat the water... by placing heat device under or near the water source causing the water to evaporate will raise the humidity... another way is to increase the water's surface area... This can be done in a number of manners... place a large body of water in the enclosure, with more water exposed to the air... dampen the substrate, wet substrate increases the water surface area for evaporation to take place... spray water directly into the air, the smaller the partical the greater the surface area...

Increasing airflow decreases the temperature through evaporation... dries the environment...
The nature of heat is to rise,
And the nature of humidity... basically to rise... Here is the concept that we all learned in school, diffussion... water molecules diffuse through the air from a higher concentration to a lower concentration, thus a low humidity...
In your case Dana, in my opinion, using your warm air humidifer, you would need to cover your enclosure to capture the humidity and heat you are creating... If not your are just "blowing" your warm humid air into the room... Inceasing the humidity and warmth of the room...

Check out my piped humidifier in the thread titled Humidity In Enclosure. Works great, has not caused any problems and the little bit of water that does drip in helps keep substrate damp:D

Status
Not open for further replies.