humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a an enclosure question.

I have the UVB/Heat light on one side. The basking area is about 85-90 and very low humidity.

When I put the thermometer on the other side of the tank the humidity is much higher and at night it keeps about 60% in the whole tank when the light is off.

How bad is this for my baby Box Turtle?

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
I'm not quite clear on your question. What precisely are you concerned about? What kind of boxie is it, and how old? Hatchlings need very high humidity, but older ones like it a bit drier. Ornates like it drier than other boxies too.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Texas
At night no problem with the humidity.. During the day on the side where the light is none. Other side there is about 30-40.
Is this ok .. Eastern Box Turtle not sure on the age anout 1 1/2 shell. little guy

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
Thanks for clarifying. You definitely need to raise the humidity. Misting with a spray bottle daily will help, as will covering or partially covering the enclosure. Keeping a shallow dish of water (not so deep that the baby could drown) will also help, just make sure to refill it regularly as it will evaporate. You should aim for around 80% humidity.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Texas
It's impossible to get 80. I spray and spray and spray and in 20 mins or so gone.. It's driving me crazy..

ktkurtz1232

5 Year Member
I'm having the same problem in my sulcata tank, I covered the top in tin foil and it helped a little but I have to pour water and mist every morning and night. It stays are 60 still, but it was at 30-40

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Texas
I put foil on my tank and it heated my tank up so bad but no humidity. I got a 2 gal sprayer and soak it and still can't keep the one side more then 30-40 the side where the light is in the single digits.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
What substrate are you using? I live in Phoenix and haven't had any problems keeping the humidity up in several different enclosures I have had. I use Eco-earth...the brick ones.

Oh, also what are your temps? That could be some of the problem if its too cool. Sorry if all this was already ask/answered somewhere else I didn't see.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Try a reptile fogger to raise your humidity along with the substrate spraying. My 3 month sulcata is in a fully enclosed enclosure. Basking side is at 60% and steady.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Try dumping cups of water to get the substrate wet down below the top layer. Especially under the basking light or over the heat mat if you have one. Spraying is good to moisten the very top, but it won't go very deep unless you're really persistent.

A fogger or humidifier also works wonders. Since mine's not fully covered during the day, this is the only way I'm able to keep the humidity up. I have the mist aimed at the open end of the enclosure with the humidifier sitting on top of the closed end. And also as has been mentioned fully cover it at night.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Texas
I have tried the humidifier did nothing. I will try dumping cups of water on soil. I also went and put a live plant in there..

LuckysGirl007 said:
What substrate are you using? I live in Phoenix and haven't had any problems keeping the humidity up in several different enclosures I have had. I use Eco-earth...the brick ones.

Oh, also what are your temps? That could be some of the problem if its too cool. Sorry if all this was already ask/answered somewhere else I didn't see.

In Texas very cold and dry and the gas heat is running. I have top soil, sphagum and cocunot coir.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Try a reptile fogger to raise your humidity along with the substrate spraying. My 3 month sulcata is in a fully enclosed enclosure. Basking side is at 60% and steady.

Which fogger are you using? I have been looking at those also.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What i noticed is that when i use my fogger and have the tube at the top of the cage the fog falls and really boosts the humidity buy when i.bring the tube all the way in the.cage and have the end of it on the floor it barely raises it. Maybe you should try to just boost the overall hunidity in.the entire room ( if you have other tropical reptiles that will be safe wiyh high humidity in that room)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm using a zoomed Reptifogger bare in mind that my tortoise in a fully enclosed enclosure. I have the fogger on a hydrometer that is automatic and so the fogger runs independent of my CHE.

image-3570168987.png

image-3050152070.png

I picked mine up on eBay for $42.99 free shipping.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
MasterOogway said:
Does it matter if it's a cold or warn humidifier ?

I use a cold mist humidifier and I've had no problems. I can see the hygrometer raise in the enclosure as I turn up the knob. I admit I don't fully understand the difference since it seems the mist will reach room temperature soon after it exits the machine. And I imagine a warm humidifier would take more electricity like everything else that heats up.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I believe that just the atomization of the water cools it. It seems to me that the “cool" ones are ultrasonic and provide less of a breeding ground for bacteria. Someone please clarify.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
My cool mist humidifier is "ultrasonic". But it also recommends cleaning it at least once a week with white vinegar to kill bacteria.

It will build up a slime of some sort if not kept clean. And I only use purified water as recommended by the manufacturer.

rebeccatx

5 Year Member
Texas
On the substrate I have more top soil then cocunot should it be the other way around?

Status
Not open for further replies.