Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Im having a bit of trouble keeping Penelope's humidity up to 80. So far, twice this week, while I had her soaking, I poured some water in her enclosure and mixed it all in. That really boosted it up for a good few hours. Im using cypress mulch. I also keep a spray bottle handy and that helps but only temporarily and it drops back down to about 65. Her hide box stays nice and humid so no worries with that. Her basking spot is 103 and the cool side is about 83. Yesterday, I covered the entire top of the enclosure with tin foil. That.definitely helps with the heat but I would love some advice on how to keep humidity up

Nelsamye

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
That sounds like the problem I was having, I did the exact same thing with foil but couldn't keep humidity up! I got a reptile fogger from a pet store and it works wonders, very easy to use. It's not cheap, about $50 depending on where you go, but it's worth it to keep the humidity up, especially since I can't keep spraying every hour while I'm at work!

Amy
Sulcata tortoise - Maximus

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
What kind of hygrometer do you you suggest? Mine was cheap and was running low on cash last week. Beginning to think it may be pretty inaccurate as well. I'll definitely check out some foggers but I think definitely a new hygrometer

Nelsamye

5 Year Member
Seattle, WA
I recommend a digital one like AcuRite, they're actually pretty cheap only like $10 on amazon. Those dial ones at the pet store aren't super accurate for larger enclosures, I have a dial one in my humid hide cause it's such a small area, then the digital one for the larger enclosure.

Amy

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Awesome! I'll check those out. Now if it's digital, is it ok to keep it in the enclosure it all times with all the humidity?

kjr153

5 Year Member
Digital is alright to keep in enclosure at all times. I second the Reptile Fogger. Make sure you use distilled water in it. :)

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
I love all those ideas. Definitely keeping those in mind for when it'll be time to upgrade a bit! I saw in one thread where someone suggested using tin foil to cover the top. Tried it out and it works great, especially for keeping the heat inside! Now if I can keep the humidity up, I'll be good. I ordered a new hygrometer, so I hope it'll be more accurate than the cheap one I have now. It'll read 80, but 15 minutes later it'll say 60, sometimes lower, so im spraying in there quite often. I looked up reviews on the one I have now and hardly any were good. So I'll try this new one out, and if it still needs a good boost, then I'll try out the fogger.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have tried a couple of the reptile foggers/misters, I wouldn't waist my money. They don't last very long at all. Not for me anyway. You can get a humidifier and pipe that in. Works just as good, works longer and probably cheaper. However, if you have your enclosure covered, I bet your humidity is probably where it is suppose to be, your new meter will hopefully tell the truth:)

Nelsamye

5 Year Member
Seattle, WA
wellington said:
I have tried a couple of the reptile foggers/misters, I wouldn't waist my money. They don't last very long at all. Not for me anyway. You can get a humidifier and pipe that in. Works just as good, works longer and probably cheaper. However, if you have your enclosure covered, I bet your humidity is probably where it is suppose to be, your new meter will hopefully tell the truth:)

Yeah the fogger I have now, ReptiFogger, has pretty mixed reviews, most people say it only lasts a few months. I'm using it as a temporary solution while I build my mega tortoise house which will be closed chambers. If when I move him in to his big house I still have a problem keeping the humidity up and my fogger is no longer working, a humidifier piped in sounds like a good idea.

Amy

Walkers

5 Year Member
I also am having trouble keeping humidity in. I have my sulcata's in a 60 gallon aquarium and one side of the top of the tank is covered in glass and the other is covered in foil and I have openings cut out for the uvb and heat lamp.. I cannot seem to get the humidity pass 60%.. I would like to stay away from a fogger as I know a lot of people have problems with them only lasting a few months.. Thanks guys :tort:

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
My accurite hygrometer came in today. And yes, my other cheaper one was WAY off! Humidity still seems a bit low. It's been in the low to mid 70's and it's stayed around there the majority of today. been keeping a close eye on it. Gonna see if I can find a way to boost it up and keep it that way before I look into a humidifier

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've had my Reptifogger for 5 months now with zero issues. Mine is set for automatic on a Hygrotherm by Zoomed and functions just fine. Maybe because its not on continually?

kjr153

5 Year Member
For everyone using the ReptiFogger make sure you are using distilled water. Apparently it will last longer because the impurities of tap will cause build up in the fogger and make it defective.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
kjr153 said:
For everyone using the ReptiFogger make sure you are using distilled water. Apparently it will last longer because the impurities of tap will cause build up in the fogger and make it defective.

That could explain my success with mine, I'm on a well that produces not-hard water. The only failure for mine was my own fault. I tried switching out to a 2 liter cleaned soda bottle. The issue came with the thinner wall of 2 liter bottles. The sides of the bottle collapsed, causing water to dump all over the unit. 2 liters of water. Stick with the bottle that comes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.