humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenley

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Az
all the temps are fine...his cool side is 80, warm side is about 100...but i can not seem to keep the humidity steady and/or raise it up...it fluctuates between 40% and 70%. :( I go in there with a spray bottle and spray things down and it helps a little bit...Would moss help? I'm thinking maybe anything that will hold moisture would be good...Right?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Two words...

CLOSED CHAMBER!

I have humidity readings of 80-99% for over a week before I have to ad any water. Sometimes I only have to dump my water dish and that's enough.
I said goodbye to my water bottle and misting multiple times daily ;)

If you want high humidity conditions then the best and easiest way is with a closed chamber.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Jenley

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Az
Team Gomberg said:
Two words...

CLOSED CHAMBER!

I have humidity readings of 80-99% for over a week before I have to ad any water. Sometimes I only have to dump my water dish and that's enough.
I said goodbye to my water bottle and misting multiple times daily ;)

If you want high humidity conditions then the best and easiest way is with a closed chamber.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

ooohhhh...!!!:D Thank you!...

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I definitely agree about the closed chamber suggestion. A search specific to that phrase "closed chamber" should get you all kinds of threads on how several of us manage that.

Jenley

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Az
kanalomele said:
I definitely agree about the closed chamber suggestion. A search specific to that phrase "closed chamber" should get you all kinds of threads on how several of us manage that.
I did just that! I just used foil...(was that ok?) and within 5 minutes the hydrometer went from 50% to 80%!!...I'm about to go see if it's staying up.

So I just checked...It dropped down to 65%...Darn it. I guess this is going to have to be a trial and error kind of thing...

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Add spaghnum moss, spray water on it, 99% humidity for 12 to 14hrs, then the lowest is 80plus%, then spray it again when you want to increase

Sent from my S100 using TortForum mobile app

In regarding the cover, used plexi glass, work well, just cut large holes for your basking and uvb light to pass thru, make sure its a few inches larger than your bulb fixtures, because plexi glass will filter the ub

Jenley

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Az
apromann4 said:
Add spaghnum moss, spray water on it, 99% humidity for 12 to 14hrs, then the lowest is 80plus%, then spray it again when you want to increase

Ok...Im guessing that I can get that at any nursery or a place like Home Depot?

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Home depo

Don' t forget the spaghnum moss, really works well

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Covering the top helps, but if the heat lamps are outside and on top you are still creating a chimney effect. As the heat rises, it pulls your warm humid air up and out into the room and sucks cold dry room air into the enclosure. The trick is to put all your heating and lighting equipment INSIDE the enclosure.

Check this out: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Status
Not open for further replies.