Husbandry help?

Beppo

Location (City and/or State)
Anacortes
Hi all. I took in an ornate box turtle about 6 months ago, because she wasn’t being cared for. I have learned a lot about her since then. And she has been really active and friendly until I moved her large box enclosure to a different part of the house. Prior to getting her she had no substrate - heat light that had quit heating up.. for I have no idea how long, no ubv and just one little log to hide under. Since moving her into her 6ft long house, I gave her all the things she was lacking before, including live plants ubv and a heat light. She was very active and seemed happy until I moved her enclosure to a different location, now all she does is burrow and hide and randomly come out for food and water. Now it’s been almost five days that I haven’t seen her. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I feel so bad. Any advice would be super appreciated

Beppo

Anacortes
Hi all. I took in an ornate box turtle about 6 months ago, because she wasn’t being cared for. I have learned a lot about her since then. And she has been really active and friendly until I moved her large box enclosure to a different part of the house. Prior to getting her she had no substrate - heat light that had quit heating up.. for I have no idea how long, no ubv and just one little log to hide under. Since moving her into her 6ft long house, I gave her all the things she was lacking before, including live plants ubv and a heat light. She was very active and seemed happy until I moved her enclosure to a different location, now all she does is burrow and hide and randomly come out for food and water. Now it’s been almost five days that I haven’t seen her. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I feel so bad. Any advice would be super appreciated
I know I left out a lot. Her lights are on a 12 hours on off schedule. She has a Terra cotta dish for soaking and drinking and a humid hide on the end of her tub that’s deep (it’s made for aquatic turtles and that was the only one available) I made the dirt really deep because she likes to burrow deep. Please let me know what other information would be helpful so you can help me sort this out. I apologise for the poor grammar.

Attachments

• IMG_2397.jpeg
    IMG_2397.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2397.jpeg
    IMG_2397.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

Macaulay

Texas
Do you think there's any difference with air flow in the new location? What if an AC vent is blowing on her more and she's seeking coverage in the dirt?

It also could be a good sign. Box turtles spend a lot of time burrowing. Being out and pacing would be the abnormal behavior. If she is eating, that a positive.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't know much about box turtles, but I would make sure she has the correct humidity and temperature, and I would make it less exposed by adding more plants and hides.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I love it, a whole room for little guys of different types and the resources to enjoy it? You aren't married, right? LOL

Did you drag the table across the floor while she "rode"? LOL.....EARTHQUAKE!!! No wonder she's bugged out for a few days! She'll be back....

I'm a hack here but I think you have the beginnings of a great home for your new buddy and kudo's for being willing to invest in some good stuff.

I will tell you stuff that helped me but again, there is some real talent here.

With box turtles, think "Bog", not "desert".........Make it wet and humid and they will be in heaven!

Put in a big pile of leaves, spray them damp and keep adding over time to keep it full........the best advice I ever got for a box turtle, inside or in her outdoor home! They don't have to be wet, just "a little heavy". Mine "digs in" for the night every day around 4pm.

Turtles need temps above 82-83F to digest their food.

A turtle will usually not enter an opening narrower than their length.......if they can't turn around inside, they won't go in.

Best of luck!

jeff

Beppo

Anacortes
Do you think there's any difference with air flow in the new location? What if an AC vent is blowing on her more and she's seeking coverage in the dirt?

It also could be a good sign. Box turtles spend a lot of time burrowing. Being out and pacing would be the abnormal behavior. If she is eating, that a positive.

thank you so much! Maybe I should read more about behaviours that are good verses concerning. Also got me thinking maybe the fan for the chameleon is bothering her? Thank you for your response, it made me feel a little better to hear that possibly this is more normal then I thought

Beppo

Anacortes
I love it, a whole room for little guys of different types and the resources to enjoy it? You aren't married, right? LOL

Did you drag the table across the floor while she "rode"? LOL.....EARTHQUAKE!!! No wonder she's bugged out for a few days! She'll be back....

I'm a hack here but I think you have the beginnings of a great home for your new buddy and kudo's for being willing to invest in some good stuff.

I will tell you stuff that helped me but again, there is some real talent here.

With box turtles, think "Bog", not "desert".........Make it wet and humid and they will be in heaven!

Put in a big pile of leaves, spray them damp and keep adding over time to keep it full........the best advice I ever got for a box turtle, inside or in her outdoor home! They don't have to be wet, just "a little heavy". Mine "digs in" for the night every day around 4pm.

Turtles need temps above 82-83F to digest their food.

A turtle will usually not enter an opening narrower than their length.......if they can't turn around inside, they won't go in.

Best of luck!

jeff
I have definitely had some fights about my creatures taking up the whole lower half of the living room haha! And I hate to admit that I did move it with her In there…. Whoops. I got a hand pump mister and have been trying to keep things “boggy” but I did wonder should that be a dampness all over? Thanks for your kind words and help!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
There are some care sheets at the top of this folder, they really are 2nd to none.

She has since moved outside but in Matilda's indoor enclosure I have about 3" of orchid bark, sprayed wet enough to support night crawlers. Then I bury paper, fruits, veggies as "worm food" and let 250 night crawlers go. It provides her with a never ending supply of go-to fast food!

Any other Box turtle questions, I'd reach out to the mod, Yvonne. She's been instrumental along with her little sister in helping me to get past the rough times like when they don't eat or get attacked.

jeff

Beppo

Anacortes
There are some care sheets at the top of this folder, they really are 2nd to none.

She has since moved outside but in Matilda's indoor enclosure I have about 3" of orchid bark, sprayed wet enough to support night crawlers. Then I bury paper, fruits, veggies as "worm food" and let 250 night crawlers go. It provides her with a never ending supply of go-to fast food!

Any other Box turtle questions, I'd reach out to the mod, Yvonne. She's been instrumental along with her little sister in helping me to get past the rough times like when they don't eat or get attacked.

jeff
Thank you so much!

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Her behavior seems pretty normal to me. Mine are pretty much the same and have been like that years now. Sometimes they are really active, especially in the spring and fall but during the summer and winter they are usually buried somewhere.

Beppo

Anacortes
Her behavior seems pretty normal to me. Mine are pretty much the same and have been like that years now. Sometimes they are really active, especially in the spring and fall but during the summer and winter they are usually buried somewhere.
Thank you. I guess I’m still learning what’s normal and what’s not. I for some reason was under the assumption that they would be out and about in the summer months and so I thought something must be wrong… I’m sure partly she is hiding from me because of me evicting her house to a new spot.