Hypothetical: Stabbed by a rusty nail

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Today, we had our house reshingled (or whatever you call it). They barely looked in my tort cage for nails and such, and I ended dragging a small magnet through all of his topsoil to get them. This took about an hour or so. I'm worried that I left some behind, and he will step on one. I haven't let him back in his cage yet, but he needs to go back soon.

What should I do if he were to step on a rusty nail or staple?

Thanks in advance

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Today, we had our house reshingled (or whatever you call it). They barely looked in my tort cage for nails and such, and I ended dragging a small magnet through all of his topsoil to get them. This took about an hour or so. I'm worried that I left some behind, and he will step on one. I haven't let him back in his cage yet, but he needs to go back soon.

What should I do if he were to step on a rusty nail or staple?

What would you do if YOU stepped on one of the nails? I'd treat a nail wound on your tortoise in the same manner: remove nail, clean with H2O2 (or equivalent), anti-biotic salve, wrap for cleanliness and watch for infection. Tortoises have fairly tough skin; I'd say do your best and keep a good watch out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tortski

Arizona
What would you do if YOU stepped on one of the nails? I'd treat a nail wound on your tortoise in the same manner: remove naul, clean with H2O2 (or equivalent), anti-biotic salve, wrap for cleanliness and watch for infection. Tortoises have fairly tough skin; I'd say do your best and keep a good watch out.
Thank you. I just had to be sure to do it right.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt a tortoise is heavy enough that the nail would penetrate his foot skin. More worrisome is what Maro2Bear said - eating the nail.

Tortski

Arizona
Thanks guys. The nails/staples are so rusty that it blends well with his dirt, so I don't think he would see it, give it the sniff test, and think it's food. I try to keep his food in a "dirt free" area, and I completely ruined what grass sprouts that he had, so I wouldn't be too worried about him eating any, but nonetheless I will keep a closer eye on him, and his cage.

Tortski

Arizona
I would be MORE worried about your tort eating a roofing nail. I’m very surprized they didnt put tarps all around to prevent such debris from being scattered in your garden.

I don’t think a tort stepping on a roofing nail will harm, ingestion, for sure!
I think they got what they deserved. They said that they would cover the buogainvilla (opposite side of the house), but they didn't, and they ended sending 2 guys to go in between them and the house. There has to be tons of daddy long legs, along with the pile of thorns and such behind there. I don't know if they were going to cover his cage, though.

I have to admit, though, I am very dissapointed in how many nails/staples I found in his cage. If only they had a smaller magnet (my dad said they had a huge one) for smaller areas like that.

I realize that I could've prevented being in this situation, but at least we brought him in the night before, and checked his cage before putting him back in.

Tortski

Arizona
I thought I should add a little happiness to this.

While the people were working on our house, Tort was inside, having a blast. Torturing our dogs, going to areas in the house that he usually doesn't have access too, and stepping on my mom's feet, which he loves doing.

My parents told me something that I thought was cute, maybe not to some of you, but whatever.

Apperantly when he was in the kitchen, there was someone in the backyard and he saw them through the glass doors. My parents say that they didn't know anyone was back there, and didn't realize until Tort ran out of the kitchen and into the bathroom (he doesn't get access to the bathroom very often). From what my dad tells me, he stayed there for hours, wedged between the toilet and the wall, until I came down and got him out with pellets (I had no idea that he stayed there that long, and he hadn't eaten yet). After I did that, he came out, tortured the dogs again, went back in the bathroom (making a huge mess, both times) and caused a ruckus. When I was cleaning up his second mess, when the roofers were cleaning up, he went to the kitchen again (he loves to stomp his feet on the tile) and saw a person outside the door, using a leaf blower. He just stared at the person, and I moved him before he freaked out, and they guy gave me a weird look when I lifted him, because somehow he didn't notice the dogs or the tortoise staring at him through the glass. And, of course, Tort went to go see the guy again, but he went away, so he just settled for stomping until my dad got annoyed.

I know, it's not a very good story, and I'm not a good storyteller, but I just thought that it was cute, and showed off his personality.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I loved the story. Sounds like you really love your tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How in the heck do roofers work in the sun, on a roof, in summer in AZ??? Do they have to wear those silver volcano suits so they don't burn up? Holy cow! That would NOT be a fun job!

Tortski

Arizona
How in the heck do roofers work in the sun, on a roof, in summer in AZ??? Do they have to wear those silver volcano suits so they don't burn up? Holy cow! That would NOT be a fun job!
They started around 5:40 AM. Yeah, I really doubt they enjoy it at all. Most of them were just wearing bright yellow shirts. The others were wearing red shirts. One guy was wearing one of those big floppy hats.

If I had a choice, I would've done it when it was cooler out, but the monsoons tore up our shingles.

Reactions: Tom