I am looking for an outside AZ tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarcyw

5 Year Member
I am looking into if a tortoise would be a good addition to my life/yard/family. What are some breeds that could be kept outside in AZ and don't get over 40 pounds approx. ? Any ideas are appreciated so I can start researching/ Thanks!!!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Are you looking for a specific size? Leopards do great in AZ and are a mid sized tort(20-30lbs)
There are also a number of smaller torts such as Russians Hermans or Greeks that would stay small in the 1-3 pound range.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tarcyw:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

You can adopt a desert tortoise from a tortoise club or rescue.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Desert tortoises are pretty easy to get a hold of, and since they are native to AZ they should do just as well...perhaps even better...than any other type of tortoise. Google the Phoenix Herpitological Society, you can adopt one through them.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Desert Tortoise is an obvious awesome choice for the weather there.....but if this will be your first venture and you pick a desert tortoise please please make sure that you are certain of your flash flood zones in the area you will construct your habitat....especially with the way the weather is getting crazier...I love my desert tortoises....but I live in the high desert and last year and the start of this year caused me to have to evacuate all of my guys from their habitats to finish out their winter rest in the closet....just plan to create a quick way to retrieve them in a sudden flash...tortoises are just plain awesome ...good luck on your endeavor ...

Status
Not open for further replies.