I am out of ideas!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Bigger filter you will for sure need, then a bigger enclosure. The filter needs to have a lot more surface area for bacteria colonies to grow on. I built my filter out of a 5 gallon bucket. New filter will help, but you should really think of a new enclosure or few enclosure with each one being filtered.

Kyle
I have a 400 gallon Fluval filter, which cost lots of $$ and it rated very HIGH for large turtles and big tanks! I don't understand the 'filter logic' going on here with big filter vs little filter, indoors and outdoors... I could get them each separate stock tubs, but if I'm gonna go there with a filter for each one, I might as well just dig a big freaking pond and filter that... no idea what kind of heavy duty filter I'd need for that, but what I understand is, it'll still need to be cleaned often....

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
As to where I got the dumpster bottoms...I got'em from my sister so let's ask her where to get them. Buy a dumpster and cut it off? I also had a big Fluval filter next to each container. I know I had too many turtles and fish in each container but those Fluval's and 1/2 water changes kept that water clean enough you could drink it...:)
I always have a pleco in with water turtles, they grow really big on turtle poop...
I could get an enormous dumpster, but how could I cut it? How did you cut them?
That's what I want :(:D
I have had a plecky in with my original painted turtle for almost 5 years, and he's just over a foot, he looks great and has never been bitten... or eaten, obiviously :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I have a 400 gallon Fluval filter, which cost lots of $$ and it rated very HIGH for large turtles and big tanks! I don't understand the 'filter logic' going on here with big filter vs little filter, indoors and outdoors... I could get them each separate stock tubs, but if I'm gonna go there with a filter for each one, I might as well just dig a big freaking pond and filter that... no idea what kind of heavy duty filter I'd need for that, but what I understand is, it'll still need to be cleaned often....
400gph is good but your waste load is high cuz of all the animals. Your turning that water 4 times an hour, I had a 550 on my 110 gallon that had maybe 80 gallons of water in it, with just one turtle, I did water changes 2 times a week. You need surface area to breakdown the ammonia,

Kyle

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
400gph is good but your waste load is high cuz of all the animals. Your turning that water 4 times an hour, I had a 550 on my 110 gallon that had maybe 80 gallons of water in it, with just one turtle, I did water changes 2 times a week. You need surface area to breakdown the ammonia,

Kyle
:(
So... bigger tanks?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
If this is just for winter, I would go with three separate stock tanks, kiddie pools might even work. Three filters, one for each. You wouldn't have to buy as big of one as the 400 gallon one.
Just for the winter :) I can build a pond next summer quickly, so just having issues with now... So maybe a just a few 80 gallon filters? Or even fifty, I'm not sure how much water the average kiddie pool holds :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Just for the winter :) I can build a pond next summer quickly, so just having issues with now... So maybe a just a few 80 gallon filters? Or even fifty, I'm not sure how much water the average kiddie pool holds :D

Bigger tank would help, it would be cheaper to just seperate and filter each. 50 gallon totes are good. If you have a harbor freight near you, fountain pumps are cheap and you can make filters for 30 dollars with a 350gph pump that's what I do. I have pumps of all sizes just in case. I use a bucket and make a simple filter. You can easily do this and make 3 filters with 3 enclosures. Keep the enclosures simple too, no substrate, not to much furniture.

Kyle

M

Maggie Cummings

Bigger tank would help, it would be cheaper to just seperate and filter each. 50 gallon totes are good. If you have a harbor freight near you, fountain pumps are cheap and you can make filters for 30 dollars with a 350gph pump that's what I do. I have pumps of all sizes just in case. I use a bucket and make a simple filter. You can easily do this and make 3 filters with 3 enclosures. Keep the enclosures simple too, no substrate, not to much furniture.

Kyle
Kyle, I just wanted to say you give pretty good, knowledgeable advice...Easy to follow...

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep build your own filter system . Five gallon buckets work great . You can also make your own charcoal filter too . You can make a charcoal prefilter then put one more on thr back side right before water goes back into tank .

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My experience with fluval filters and aquatic turtles is that it works fine with 1/3 the water it is rated for. Eventually the filter medium breaks down.

Frequent water changes don't allow for growth of good bacteria.

Some people feed their turtles in a separate small tub, wait for them to poop, and then return the animals to the main tank, tossing the dirty water.

Don't know if any of these observations help.