I bought my first Tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland/DC
Hello everyone. Yesterday I purchased a Greek Tortoise! I live in Washington DC and bought my little friend at the local petsmart. I did a decent amount of research but I think I may have made an error when I purchased a 20L Critter Cage for my Tortoise. It is currently about 4 inches long. I wanted to know would it be ok to leave it in this critter cage for another month? I want to make it a habitat so I can move it indoors and outdoors for the summer. I realize I can buy one of those wooden habiats online but I would love to make it on my own(I am a man). Also any suggestions on what to feed it?(and what not to feed it) I am currently feeding it a mix of Romaine lettuce and Collared Greens(about 75% collared and 25% romaine) Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.
If i remember correctly those critter cages are small, I personally would not leave it in there for a month, I would instead suggest getting a rubbermaid container for now, they are usually inexpensive and make good enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shervy Baby:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

You can buy a pretty big plastic tub...or even two tubs and cut out the ends, placing them together to make one long tub. Tortoises need more room that we give them credit for.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
For reference: A 20 Long is 30x12x12 inches.

You might be able to get away with it... But, honestly, I agree with the above: You'd be better off returning it to the store, and picking up a big storage tote (i.e. 50 gallon Rubbermaid @ Walmart or 50 gallon Roughneck @ home depot) to accommodate him til you can finish his permanent enclosure.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new addition! Greeks are SO cute!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Welcome!

I also agree with what others have said: take the tank back......and for much less money (and for a greater size enclosure)
go with the rubermaid tote. There is even a member on here who has a neat "two tub" enclosure with a pass through....great
for providing the humidity your baby will need.

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I just got back from Petsmart and I returned the Tortoise. I decided I am going to buy a Tortoise House for it first. Tmrw morning I am exchanging the 20L critter cage I got in exchange for the Tortoise House. This coming weekend I plan on putting it together and slowly making it a very nice habitat. Then lastly, I will go re-buy my Greek Tortoise. If I am going to do this, I want to do it right. Any advide on if I a wooden Tortoise House would be suitable for it? I was told it can live its entire life in it.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The Tortoise House, if I remember right, is 3 feet long? In my opinion, that's not quite big enough to last him his whole life. Not that it can't be done--there are people who make 3 ft habitats last long-term. But it's not exactly ideal.. Tortoises do use as much space as you give him, and bigger is *always* better. I believe you can attach 2 Tortoise Houses together to make it 6 feet long, is that an option for you?

Otherwise, you can still try making something yourself--it'd certainly be less expensive, plus then you can customize it to your particular needs. :)

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
I have the zoo med tortoise house and it is great. If you make one or buy, dont forget to line with either pond liner or shower liner before you put in substrate. Will last longer and easy to clean. My Greeks LOVE dandelion leaves and mustard greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.