I don't know if my Indian star tortoise is ill

Prathamesh Phalke

My Indian star tortoise is having nasal discharge just like humans but he is behaving all normal and eating properly.. My concern is that he has got skin coming out of its usual position.. Can anyone help and tell me a way in which i can treat his nasal discharge and his unusual skin position? Please help

IMG_20150114_132029074.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

As long as the tortoise is eating and acting normal, don't do anything about the nasal discharge. If the discharge changes colors and gets thick and if the tortoise stops eating, then you will need to give him antibiotics.

I'm not clear on what you mean by the skin, sorry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We need to know how you are housing and heating him. What are your four temperatures and what equipment are you using to achieve those temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

Anytime there is nasal discharge I would suggest bumping up the temperatures. I would not let it drop below 85 F, day or night. And basking area over 100 all day long. Daily soaks will ensure that the tortoise stays hydrated during this hotter time.

Prathamesh Phalke

I usually keep my star in natural sunlight for 2-4 hours in the morning.. The temperature is around 85° to 95° Fahrenheit during day time.. During night time it is low like about 90° Fahrenheit.. I got him just 3 days ago and I don't know a way to keep him heated at night.. I kept him in a tub full of warm clothes for a couple of days.. How should I treat his nasal discharge? How do I keep him heated at night?