i dont know what to do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayde7699

5 Year Member
My tortoises are about 3 and I know that they have to be a certain age to breed ( 6-7 ) for it to be successfull, but I have them in an open 75 galllon tank with heat lights and everything great for them, but I don't think I have the room for them to grow. My female "sydney" is about 5" inch. And my male "taz" is about 4" inch. And they have been likke that since I got them (sydney about 2 years ago and taz in early january 2012) I've seen videos online of tortoises a little bigger with successfull eggs, but they said they needed a lot of attention. What should I do!?!?!?!?!?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
If you are going to keep a pair in the same enclosure.....I would be sure to set up the largest space possible (a tortoise table would be ideal...4x8 foot would likely be fair for awhile for two) hoping that you do not ultimately need to set up two enclosure in the event their friendly relationship turns sour....

But wait round a bit to see what the others suggest as well...the more the merrier...:D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
What kind of tortoises do you have? What state are you located in? Are you able to keep them outside? Can you post pics of your tortoises carapace (top of shell) and plastron (bottom shell)?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They are going to grow no matter what how big depends on the species, they do have to be a certain size to breed. Mounting behavior does not always equal breeding it can also be a dominance display.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jaydee7699:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I know that tortoises will breed indoors, but in my opinion, tortoises belong outside. Especially the steppe tortoises. They require a lot of roaming space. It is very stressful to them to live in an small indoor habitat, especially when there is more than one tortoise in the habitat. In the wild, they have territories. So one tortoise will keep trying to chase the other tortoise out of his territory, but there is no place for it to go in a small indoor habitat.

May we know your name and appx. where in the world you are?

jayde7699

5 Year Member
I live in northeastern ohio. I have 2 russian tortoises, its only 2 of them and no I cannot keep them in an outdoor enclosure because I live in an apartment. I believe that they have enough room, I keep them in a large 75 gallon container. I am not keeping them because I want to breed them, I just wanted to know if it was a possibility for there size. I take them outside as often as possible, making sure they are healthy. I have had sydney (my girl) for about 2 years, and have had taz (my boy) since january 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.