Getting acquainted

PatC

Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
What is the best way to become acquainted with my new baby? Taz arrived yesterday. He is about 2 1/2 months old. I know he needs time to adjust but wondered about some tips to interact with him. Also not eating yet. Mostly hiding which I understand is normal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would just go about your business. Soak him daily, be smooth and gentle when handling him, and in time the tortoise will get used to its new life and routine. You can try hand feeding if you like, but I usually allow them a couple of weeks before I start messin' with them too much.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He's going to hide and it's going to be awhile before he settles into his new spot. They don't like when their surroundings change and they will sulk. I would just leave your baby be for now and let him get used to his new pad for a few weeks before your start interacting with him.

PatC

Baton Rouge, LA
What is the best way to become acquainted with my new baby? Taz arrived yesterday. He is about 2 1/2 months old. I know he needs time to adjust but wondered about some tips to interact with him. Also not eating yet. Mostly hiding which I understand is normal.

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. I’ll just be patient and continue to soak him and talk to him.

Should I start daily outside time or wait until he settles in?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd do the daily outside time. The sooner he starts seeing the newer routine, the sooner he'll settle into it.