I don't need the stress & she doesn't either

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I have been wrestling with myself since August over this............and I've decided not to leave Matilda outside. I wrapped my head around the idea that she would be with us forever, the day we picked her up. So in my mind, there's no reason to stress her body for forcing her to endure the winter, or pass if she cannot.

Animals in Zoos far outlive those in Nature from what I've seen, there's a reason...better eats of course but also, better living conditions than they might stumble into in the wild.

So I've got these large bins....like 4' long, 2 ft wide(we use them to store the foldable ebikes in the truck) and I'm going to repurpose one for Winter. It's not as nice as glass but it's safe, workable and warm for her....do you know how much 35liters of orchid bark is? LOL

Call me "fraidy-cat"....it's cool, I'm pretty secure in myself(insanity will do that for you if you let it-lol).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't blame you. I don't brumate my Russian for the same reason. I have enough stress, don't need to add more when I don't have too.
Besides,you would feel just awful if she didn't make it.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm not brumating Paxton (desert box turtle) either. I have never done it before with my past box turtle, and I don't need the stress.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We have never brumated Zola - to be honest, we would miss him so much - he is such an important member of the family. He is 23 years old, and is happy, and seems to enjoy being with us almost as much as we enjoy being with him. He is kept warm, of course - he eats pretty well - we have an endless supply of dandelion leaves in our garden, so he gets wild food as well as shop bought stuff in winter.
Angie

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I have been wrestling with myself since August over this............and I've decided not to leave Matilda outside. I wrapped my head around the idea that she would be with us forever, the day we picked her up. So in my mind, there's no reason to stress her body for forcing her to endure the winter, or pass if she cannot.

Animals in Zoos far outlive those in Nature from what I've seen, there's a reason...better eats of course but also, better living conditions than they might stumble into in the wild.

So I've got these large bins....like 4' long, 2 ft wide(we use them to store the foldable ebikes in the truck) and I'm going to repurpose one for Winter. It's not as nice as glass but it's safe, workable and warm for her....do you know how much 35liters of orchid bark is? LOL

Call me "fraidy-cat"....it's cool, I'm pretty secure in myself(insanity will do that for you if you let it-lol).
Orchid bark and Mississippi don't go together. We do have plenty of dirt. Will look for that cactus thing at the Mexican grocery store. I know these children would like it.

I have to go find out who Matilda is...

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Orchid bark and Mississippi don't go together. We do have plenty of dirt. Will look for that cactus thing at the Mexican grocery store. I know these children would like it.

I have to go find out who Matilda is...
20230908_072153.jpg

Here she is, actually it's a male but I'm so used to calling him a "Boy named Sue", I'm just going with it......lol

I'll post up once I get her moved. I brought her bin inside yesterday....should get her substrate by Fri.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
The bark stuff came yesterday and it's enough to give a decent 3-4" bed in her indoor bin-home. I wet it a little and mixed it a bit to get it to absorb the water. Kerry is bringing over the lid for it this weekend, then I'll figure out her light and heat.

I went out to see if she was still out b/c I would have improvised to let her come inside instead of the 42F it was when I came to work this morning but she was dug in somewhere.

Tonight she'll begin warming up again........

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Well, a family emergency put a twist in my plans.....we had to go to plan B
20231019_123239.jpg
20231019_124526.jpg
She was still dug in from last night so I had to dig her up.....shes dirty and mad!

But she'll be warm.

I won't be back till Sat or Sunday but she will be ok for a couple of days.

Life tosses us knuckleballs sometimes....you have to be quick to
adjust.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Got home today and cut in the lamp and set her heater in place......I'm watching the temps.....I changed her layout a bit....and added more leaves.

20231022_145729.jpg