I finally Got Him!!!

TennisGecko

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana USA
I finally got my Russian Tort, He is very Adorable and He is doing just fine, I estimate He is around 1 or 5 Cause he is still small but some males are anyway and his shell still looks great, I ended up getting him at a petstore cause he looked like he was well taken care of also what the vet said, There was also one at another petstore but it was very sad he had nothing at all in his small tank, just a very small hermit crab water dish,a small food dish, and a very little layer of some kind of Mulch and the really stupid thing was they had like 50 crickets jumping in the small 10 gallon aquarium (last i checked they don't eat Crickets) also the food they had for him was a fruit mix for redfoots.Anyways I decided to name my Tortie Joey,He is already getting use to me after about 2 weeks i will get pics soon :)

Krabby

MA
Welcome and Congratulations on getting Joey.
You would think a pet store would know how to care for their animals. I got my first tort from Pet Smart. I was given the wrong information from a sales person. I was told she would only need a 20 gallon tank to live in; to feed her iceburg lettuce, fruit, etc.
Thank goodness I found this site. Sophie is doing great. Always do your homework prior to bringing home a new pet.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your new tortoise. Russian tortoises are great. My two male Russians are very small for their age.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Congrats on your female tort. I say that because it seems they all turn out to be the opposite of what we name them. Good luck and I wish her good health. haha

TennisGecko

Indiana USA
20141201_142552.jpg 20141201_142515.jpg 20141201_142434.jpg 20141201_142452.jpg

Here He is :D as you can see he I'd already getting use to me, and if you notice he is in a 50 gallon plastic tote, but in December we will be building him his "Mansion" It will be nice and big and pretty fun for him too, but for now the tote is working out fine,
Thanks for all the info and help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good luck with your new tortoise. He's very nice-looking.

Here in the U.S. we have a 4" rule - that is, a tortoise must be at least 4" from front to back before a pet store can have it in their store for sale. In order for a Russian tortoise to reach 4", he will be at least 5 or 6 years old. It has been my experience that the Russian tortoises pet stores get from the wholesalers are 8 to 10 years old. Your tortoise is almost full grown.