I found a bug nest in my substrate! Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Holy cow holy cow holy cow. Ok. As I was about to place the salad on the flat slate feeding rock, I noticed that the substrate around it was moving. I thought maybe I was breathing on it but when I moved away it just kept moving, up and down, as if something is underneath. So I grabbed a stick (yeah I'm brave), lifted the slate and quickly dug in to have a look-see. Well, holy $*?!$# there's a whole colony of mealworms writhing in there!!!

First off, how the heck did they get in there? I use a separate container to feed my hatchling exactly so I can keep track of the worms.

So now what? I remember seeing a thread that said the mealworms morph into a carnivorous beetle... Are my girls safe?

I'll scoop out the area of substrate around the dish but I don't know if that's enough, would they stay close to the food source or could they be all over?

Or how about if I pour water on the nest and everywhere to kill them first? I killed a whole cup of worms by accidentally spilling water in it...

I have to go pick up my kids from school and, let me tell ya, I'll be neurotic until I get back and tackle that nest :-/

The4ts

5 Year Member
I'm not sure about an entire colony situation but when one meal worm or super worm here and there turns into a beetle my boxies usually just eat the beetle. My boys seem to even like the beetles more than the worms. I would take the worms out though for sure maybe just a gladware container with little holes or something because like you said you've been monitoring their protein.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you feed them, I would try to keep them. Free food:) I would have been in a panic too. I'v had baby crickets hatch put in my tortoise indoor enclosure. I feed the, to my red eyed tree frogs, but have no idea how they are getting out and then breeding no less.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I had quite a few flies in my dirt a few days ago. I FREAKED out! :p I just went to the store got some new dirt and changed out the substrate to rid the Terrarium of the bugs completely. No more flies! :)

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
diaboliqueturtle said:
I may have exaggerated the colony part, how many makes a colony anyway?

Oops, I wasn't ready to hit "send" just yet... Dang clumsy thumb ;-)

I counted 6 worms without digging too much, so who knows how many I'll find... Can they self-reproduce or do they mate? I just remembered that I dropped 1 in there 2 months ago and when I saw how fast it disappeared into the substrate I decided right then to use a separate container to feed her the worms.

I'll keep them for sure though, free food!

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
So I found 13 live mealworms and 2 dead ones. Still at a loss as to how they got there, unless the one I dropped 2 months ago was pregnant... My hatchling is too small to dig for them so I put them in a cup for future free meals. And I poured water all over to make sure I killed any I might have missed ;-)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely if there was one, there was at least one more that got away that you didn't notice. Happened all the time when I used to feed worms to my bearded. Now I feed frogs crickets and twice now I have found babies in my tortoise enclosure. I never even see them get out, ugh. I now just wait until they get big enough to see, catch them, them feed them to my frogs. Of course hoping I get them all so no more babies are born.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
My biggest worry was for my hatchling's safety, in case they morph into a carnivorous beetles and she is so young and spends all of her time burrowed. Last week I put 3 crickets in there but I think they may have been too big for her, she seemed scared of them, and they "jumped ship" :-( Every night I see one jump across the living room and its too dang fast for me to catch it...

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Well, I must've missed one because while I was tinkering in there I found a beetle! Good news is my hatchling is growing up, she caught sight of it and it was gone in a flash! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.