Substrate staining my baby sulcatas REALLY bad. Help?

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I was looking through my pics of Tiger from when I first got him and looking at him now he is soooooooooo dark. His skin isn't a rich caramel color anymore it is a darker muddy brown. I have been using Eco Earth and orchid bark (used to use cypress mulch before) and I am 100% sure it is substrate related.
I soaked tiger for a good hour today and after his soak I used wet cotton swabs and rubbed off the underside of his shell, the top of his head, and his feet and holy cow the cotton swabs where saturated in the nasty muddy color.
Is there anything I can do to help with this? I know it is not life threatening, but i am OCD about the overall health and appearance of my animals. It drives me crazy. (If pics are needed I can upload once I get home)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Hmmmm, that dark? Can you rinse the substrate in a bucket, then drain with a strainer? Maybe even with boiling water so you clean it also. Eco Earth and orchid bark can be cleaned and reused this way, so maybe do that? Perhaps that will get rid of what ever is causing the coloring. I am sure that it is natural and not an artificial dye so it will be totally okay. Come spring/summer when your baby can be out in the sun, it will sun bleach away. It's nothing permanent. No super worries. Do like little Tiger and chill like a tortoise. All good. : )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with what was already said. But if it bothers you that much, switch it out for plain dirt. He'll get dirty but not stained.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I cleaned ALL the cypress mulch and Eco earth today. Fun... Lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just wait when he's big . Good luck keeping him clean then . You will clean him turn around then turn back and wammo dirty all over again.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Substrate staining my baby sulcatas REALLY bad. Help?

mike taylor said:
Just wait when he's big . Good luck keeping him clean then . You will clean him turn around then turn back and wammo dirty all over again.

I can't wait until they're bigger! 200 lbs of love running around the backyard. I love watching sulcatas graze and dig in the dirt! Just not stained.