I found a gopher tortoise egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Casselberry
So I have at least 4 gofer turtle family's living around my house ....1 of them must of layd some eggs very recently and something got to them and ate 6eggs...as I'm driving out of my yard I see broken eggs and fire ants so I grab the shovel and I move dirt and 1 little lonely egg rolled out..there were ALOT of ants so I did the best I could but I think he was the last 1...I will call him nemo if he survives...which brings me to my question ....how do I take care of this thing....right now I have it in a big coffee can covered with clean potting soil dry not wet and under a heat lamp...that's as far as Iv gotten ...so any advice would help :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: I found a gofer turtle egg

Gopher tortoises are protected in Florida. So my suggestion is for you to try to find a tortoise rescue and turn the egg over to them. Here on the Forum, we are forbidden from talking about things that are illegal, so we won't be able to talk about this on the open Forum.

In the mean time, don't turn the egg from it's original position. Right side up should always be right side up.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Ooooo man I completely forgot about that >.< I will definitely turn it over to the right people ! Asap so this lil guy can Live!!

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
When I found the egg it rolled out of the dirt...so which way is up and which way is down ...I don't wanna kill it before I get it in the right hands ....I see a white spot in a yellow egg ..the air bubble the embryo I guess so should that white spot be facing up or down?

Status
Not open for further replies.