I gave him too much sugar, I think . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Naples, Florida
Hello! In the previous post, I mentioned my new tortoise not eating. Well, now he won't stop :D which is great, because I was concerned (the seller told us he had a very big appetite, which is fine with me :p) anyways, I have a problem:

Today, I decided to give my tortoise some tomatoes with his regular diet because I thought he might like a treat. His regular diet consists of shredded kale greens, shredded carrots, and either calicum or protein powder. Since I added tomato to this mix, I read that it was too much sugar.
Now he's all lethargic and isn't as energetic as usual. Will this wear off? Or should I take him to a vet? :(

If it does wear off, please tell me how long it'll be.

I promise I'll never do this again :tort::tort::tort:

Thank you!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hmmm, there is no need to shred his food - having to work a little for his food will help keep his beak short. Carrots are really not a good food to feed regularly - more like a once-a-month treat, and then just put one baby carrot in whole, not shredded.
If you have questions about what kind of foods to feed, there is a good list right here: http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm
If you have a garden, you may find that you are already growing a lot of edible plants. In the winter you can supplement with kale, collard greens, Spring mix and such. No carrots.
Tomatoes are high in sugar, high in acid, and high in water. Your tort doesn't need to go to the vet after eating tomato, but will likely have loose stools for a day or two, and then be back to normal. IF you feel like you need to give your tortoise a 'treat' - give him something like a slice of granny smith apple, or a juicy piece of romaine heart. I don't give my torts any fruit, and 3 of my 5 will still gladly and tamely eat out of my hand. :)

NomberPie said:
Hello! In the previous post, I mentioned my new tortoise not eating. Well, now he won't stop :D which is great, because I was concerned (the seller told us he had a very big appetite, which is fine with me :p) anyways, I have a problem:

Today, I decided to give my tortoise some tomatoes with his regular diet because I thought he might like a treat. His regular diet consists of shredded kale greens, shredded carrots, and either calicum or protein powder. Since I added tomato to this mix, I read that it was too much sugar.
Now he's all lethargic and isn't as energetic as usual. Will this wear off? Or should I take him to a vet? :(

If it does wear off, please tell me how long it'll be.

I promise I'll never do this again :tort::tort::tort:

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.