Is my dude pyramiding?

kitrose

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hello!

I'm so sorry for the influx of anxiety-ridden posts.

A bit of information:

I have a 1.5 year old Eastern Hermann's tortoise. He's 4.5 inches. I haven't weighed him in a few months, but I'm planning on doing that one day soon. He's in a 20-square foot enclosure. Basking temp is 90-95, ambient temp is around 80. Enclosure humidity is 80% during the day, 70%-75% at night. Nighttime temps are low to mid 70's. He has UVB that's usually on for ten hours a day, and his basking bulb/ambient lights are on for twelve to fourteen hours a day. He's on a mix of coconut coir and cypress mulch, about six-seven inches total. He gets a variety of greens every day (a rotation of romaine, arugula, collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole, endive, and clover, for the most part) and is soaked for at least thirty minutes per day, but usually I try to get give him an hour. He gets Mazuri pellets several days a week, as well as cuttlefish bone sprinkled on his food around 3x per week.

Lately I've been concerned that he may be pyramiding, and if so, I would really like to know so that I can prevent it from worsening, I've attached pictures, so if anyone could let me know if I have something to worry about, that would be amazing.

If the pictures aren't suitable, I can post more!

Attachments

• IMG_3435.jpeg
    IMG_3435.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3436.jpeg
    IMG_3436.jpeg
  • IMG_3437.jpeg
    IMG_3437.jpeg
  • IMG_3438.jpeg
    IMG_3438.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like some very slight start on the top. If you are using any halogen, mercury or spot bulbs, that will do it even in the best humidity.
Basking should be incandescent flood bulb.
Be sure humidity is 80% for hatchling up to about 3 years and then 50% after that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is minor pyramiding, but it isn't anything new. Been happening for a ling time.

What type of enclosure are you using? Its odd that humidity goes from 80% during the day to 70% at night. Usually its the opposite. As the air cool it holds less moisture and the relative humidity percentage goes way up. Most enclosures that are warm and 80% humidity during the day go up to 90-100% when the lights kick off and the air cools a bit.

The rest of your routine sounds pretty good though. I'd try to get more weeds and leaves and less grocery store foods into him.

What type of UV bulb are you running? It really only needs to be on a few hours mid day.

kitrose

NY
There is minor pyramiding, but it isn't anything new. Been happening for a ling time.

What type of enclosure are you using? Its odd that humidity goes from 80% during the day to 70% at night. Usually its the opposite. As the air cool it holds less moisture and the relative humidity percentage goes way up. Most enclosures that are warm and 80% humidity during the day go up to 90-100% when the lights kick off and the air cools a bit.

The rest of your routine sounds pretty good though. I'd try to get more weeds and leaves and less grocery store foods into him.

What type of UV bulb are you running? It really only needs to be on a few hours mid day.
Hey! So sorry for the delayed reply.

His nighttime humidity is usually around 90% -- I had a migraine when I wrote that, sorry!

I will definitely try to get more natural plants in him, thanks. It's a little difficult due to the cooler climate where I live, but I'll absolutely take advantage of the spring/summer months to gather weeds and such for him.

I have an HO 10 Reptisun UVB strip light.