I got two little Russians today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
...and as their intended habitat got knocked out by our recent stoms, I put them in my old Box Tyrtle habitat that I have been using to grow clover and chickory. I just got a great batch of chickory going along with white and yellow clover, all little sprouts, hundreds of them. Anyway, I put the Russians in there hoping to get some more substrate to dry up their new outdoor pen tomorrow. I left them alone for five minutes and went to cut some organic salad and cactus to see if they would eat. The little turds ate the baby leaves off of all the chickory and most of the clover! Guess I will have to start a new garden tomorrow and let them stay in that pen as they seem to love it. I am so happy they appear to be healthy and they certainly have not lost their appetites from the stress of moving!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be careful. Russians usually do not get along in pairs. Have a back up plan ready.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Mine love chicory as well, one of them eats down to the roots on all the plants in the pen and then burrows and I swear she doesn't come back up until they are grown back lol.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Congratulations on your new babies. That sounds like healthy typical russian behavior. Eating machines! I have to plan my enclosures and get them planted way in advance if I want any seedlings to survive.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
@Tom...I have several alternate plans. these two were living in a back bedroom with 6 other Russians that were much bigger than they are as well ae 7 female and 1 male three toed/gulf coast box turtle mix. They had no heat lamp or basking spot and no substrate. They were living on news paper. I could only afford these two because the guy wanted to trade for the others, not cash. I built a 5 x 4 pen for my baby sulcatas and I have another 5 x 4 pen outside as a back up and outdoor play pen.

I had used the pen they are in now for box turtle rehab and when they were turned over to the outdoor gardwen, I decided to use it to sprout clover and Mallow and Chickory for my Torts. Well, 2 5 inch Russians (a male and a female) have altered that plan a bit. LOL...

I will post picks of everybody when I get my camera from work on Monday.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
cooky_luvs said:
Sounds like the guy I got my two from lol. In Frisco, Tx. Not sure where you're located.

LOL....Yep! Same guy! I plan on going back this weekend and getting some of the Box turtles he is selling!

Status
Not open for further replies.