I have a 10 month tortoise, i'm afraid he's sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandlerledray

5 Year Member
Well, would being 10 months old still be considered a hatchling? I mean, he's really really little still, frank, my two and a half year old sully was bigger when he was pea's age. :/ I can't stop thinking about him and I'm constantly checking to see if he's alright.
Please tell me he'll be alright.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just a note for future reference: Bullying isn't always a visual thing. Animals can communicate without sounds or actions. The bigger tortoise may have been telling the smaller tortoise to get out of his territory, and the smaller one had no place to go. When this happens, they quit eating and usually stay in one corner, trying to keep out of the bigger tortoise's sight. Reason I've come to this conclusion is because I've seen a smaller tortoise start eating and acting normally once removed and placed in his own habitat.

I wish we could reassure you, however I'm afraid it doesn't look good. Try to prepare yourself for the worst. But always hope for the best!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tears came to my eyes when I read Yvonne's post because we don't really know what tortoises are thinking or feeling and what if he is feeling like Yvonne is stating? What did the vet say about separating them for a while until Peanut gets better. I think Yvonne is right especially about Sulcata's and by chance she is you would know pretty quickly if you did it. Just a thought. We'll be thinking about Peanut.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Definitely! A smaller area that you can warm up better.

chandlerledray

5 Year Member
I didn't mention anything to the vet about separating them until he gets better, but I sure hope it works. The poor guy.

It's all coming together now if Frank is bullying because Franklin went missing for 2 days and in that time my boyfriend got me peanut (because I was SO upset about him being gone, I guess to try and make htings better) then Frank was found, and once he was in his table he saw peanut there and started acting weird..maybe he's trying to tell pea that it's his home not his.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
If he is sick I would definitely separate him so I could focus on him. Do what Yvonne tells you she's knows Sulcata's (she's like the Danny of Sulcata's). And pat yourself on the back you're doing your best to help him and now the vet is also. If you're thinking he'll be lonely I think don't think that's the case. Even when dogs and cats get sick they usually will go away from each other.

chandlerledray

5 Year Member
Well this is heartbreaking to me because I'm so used to them being in a big land where they can walk around and do a lot in, and this looks so sad.

Is this a good enclosure? I have a tiny aquarium but it's in my attic and I can't get up there tonight, but for now is it good? SHould I move pea to the aquarium come tomorrow?

Of course, I'd take some substrate from franks table and put it in there, have another food bowl, water, and his log?

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that's a good hospital enclosure. You can put up a fixture at one end with either a black light, a red light or a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), then partially cover the other end. This will help to get the temp up higher for him. A hiding place, a food slate or tile and a little water pan. But wait...because he's soft, he probably needs the UV to make his calcium work, so maybe for the daytime you should have a UV light then at night one of the other lights I suggested.

chandlerledray

5 Year Member
Okay, here's the new peanut enclosure.The clear container was too small. Does everything look alright for him? Is the lamp too low or anything? I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions, I'm just so nervous and scared. I have a therm in there right now, it's at 76.4 currently.
I only have one UV light they used to share, what should I do? It's in franks table now, I don't want to take it away from him, but it seems pea needs it more right now :/

IMG_1310.jpg

should I cover the food/water area with a towel on the top ?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
What temperature did your vet or Yvonne say to keep him at? I should think that it needs to be higher then that. I though Sulcata's needed to be around 90 in their hide area. I have my tortoise heat emitter straight down near on his hide. Your enclosure looks very good now, I know that you've worked hard to get it right and I'm sure that you're almost there. Don't feel bad about separating them when he gets better you can do what you want with them, but he needs time to recover. The enclosure looks big enough for him. When do you take him back to the vet to get rechecked?

chandlerledray

5 Year Member
It should be hotter than that, and it has gone up since the last post. I positioned it closer and it is up to 89.7.
The vet also said he was dehydrated, I soak him daily though, but I read that you could mist their enclosure and them to help dehydration, so I did that and he actually opened his eyes, so that's good. He's sleeping now though.

The vet didn't say any specific time, just call if there's any questions and make an appointment once he begins eating if I want, which I do.
I'm a very protective mommy :p

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I would not even consider putting them back in together there's to much difference in size. Sulcata's do not need company they don't sleep and hang out togerher in the wild. They meet breed and go there seperate ways. For pea's sake please get him his own area. I hope and pray he comes back home.

chandlerledray

5 Year Member
Thank you for your advice :]
I'm reading and reading so much online about all of this, I don't think pea will be with frank anymore, I have a set up for peanut and a table for franklin.

Status
Not open for further replies.