Sleeping a lot

Simon Jeong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Hi, I have a 5 months old Russian hatchling named Peanut. Peanut is growing in size and doesn't seem unhealthy. I was just wondering if it is normal for a hatchling to sleep a lot. I feel like Peanut rarely wakes up unless I dig him/her out. If I don't dig him/her out, Peanut will sleep for what it seems to me like 2 days straight (maybe he wakes up when I'm not aware). Also, after I bathe Peanut, he/she would just go straight to the hide and burrow. I never really see Peanut sunbathe under the lamp. Peanut eats and poops normally. Does this sound normal or should I be worried?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
What can you tell us about temp and humidity? Please keep in mind that these cute little animals are cold blooded. But since you said Peanut is eating and pooping normally, then do not worry. :)

Torts do not like change. Therefore, please give Peanut time to adapt. Any pics of him/her and is/her enclosure would enable us to help you more easily.

And a warm welcome to the forum to you both! :)

Simon Jeong

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thank you for the welcome! The humidity is around 70% and the temp ranges from 80 - 100 F. Peanut usually goes under the basket seen at the bottom left of the picture. I'm not sure if Peanut thinks that he/she should be hibernating.
upload_2018-11-7_13-10-46.png