I have a great idea!!!

Romeo Serback

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
May I make a suggestion? Can somebody post a simple checklist of what a new tortoise owner might need before purchasing a tortoise? You can even break it down by certain tortoise groups like for the tropical or the desert species. An example would look like this:

Baby Sulcata needs: tortoise table, UVB light, sphagnum moss, etc., etc.

I want to make a list of what I might need for my new tortoise in the future and am not sure what type of UVB bulb and the like. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have care sheets that explain all of that. There is no way to make such a list. Every enclosure is a custom job and different things are needed. It would be convenient, but its not practical and it could cause problems.

Just for the sake of conversation, tortoise tables and moss are not good for for sulcata babies, and UV is not needed by some people whose tortoises get sunshine regularly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Toms post. Specially about a tortoise table. Closed chambers are needed.
Then if someone was getting an older tort, some of the things needed would be changed up.
The caresheets are the best place for people to start.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
We have care sheets that explain all of that. There is no way to make such a list. Every enclosure is a custom job and different things are needed. It would be convenient, but its not practical and it could cause problems.

Just for the sake of conversation, tortoise tables and moss are not good for for sulcata babies, and UV is not needed by some people whose tortoises get sunshine regularly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Ha! I just read this 10 minutes ago, but thanks! At least now I don't have to search again for it. I notice that there's an adoption section. I think I might go that route when I move to Florida when I have a lot of land. I notice that the most released for adoption tortoise is the sulcata.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wrote a thread with pictures a while back. I don't know how to show a link (I'm on my Kindle), but if you go to the enclosure section, it's one of the pinned threads at the top of the section - "Suggestions for setting up a baby habitat."

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA