Preparing for new Hermanns tortoise, a little overwhelmed

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States
Hello, this is my first post and I am brand new to the tortoise world. I am preparing to get a well started Hermanns tortoise and have been reading all the care guides, what not to do etc. I wanted opinions on this enclosure for a hatchling (although I know I will need to upgrade eventually)

Also the other thing I am not certain abut is the lights. I know I need a heat light as well as the long uvb light but I cannot seem to find a consistent way these are set up. How would I attach the long uvb light to the enclosure? It seems the heat light can be used with any standing lamp, but the uvb one im not so sure. I don’t plan to have a screen that it can set on top of.

Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated! Thank you.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hi, welcome! I'm glad you want to start in a good way. (Don't worry, getting a tort is always overwhelming, but if you have any questions just ask and the members here will help with a smile)
Follow this guide religiously.
That enclosure that you suggested seems ok, but going bigger is always better.
@Tom @Yvonne G are the experts on hermanns

Last edited:

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Thank you so much for sharing that post! It definitely helped answer some questions I had. I think the only thing I need now is to figure out which fixture to use for the florescent tube bulbs.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I forgot to mention this, it would be better if you could get a closed chamber enclosure

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Greetings, welcome
I have a hermann’s myself.
Where are you purchasing your western, eastern hermanns from?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Well done to research before you get your tort, hopefully you'll have everything set up and ready for him to move into which will reduce the stress for him, because they don't like change.
It's hard to tell from the picture but that enclosure looks a bit small even for a hatchling.
I think the caresheet linked recommends a viv for hatchlings because it is easier to control heat and humidity to give them a good start. The bigger the better because torts need to be able to roam for digestion and bone health.
There are fittings specifically for the uvb tubes and they are often sold together as kits.
The caresheet is the most up to date you'll find anywhere and if you follow that as closely as possible your tort should thrive, but ask as many questions as you like there's always someone here to help.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Good luck. And please post pictures
If you need any help or advice I am here to help you. I recieved my first hermann’s hatchling myself and he is thriving so much and growing so much.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I use a raised garden bed with plexi glass, reptile screen to hold up the fixtures for the lights people claim they don’t work…. But my western hermann’s is growing smooth and beautifully with no problems. I change my bulbs loyally every 3-4 months.

Attachments

• B4CD25B6-2624-4BF4-AE59-2FE5BE48E199.png
    B4CD25B6-2624-4BF4-AE59-2FE5BE48E199.png
    530.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 95759767-AD54-42B0-8628-EF972B178DAC.png
    95759767-AD54-42B0-8628-EF972B178DAC.png
    193.7 KB · Views: 15

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
Speaking from experience raising my Hermann's, I can tell you that hydration and humidity are key! My tortoise's shell doesn't look the best right now was because stupid me in the past didn't give it proper hydration when it was young. Give it plenty of hydration so that you don't make the mistake I made.

Also my tortoise is doing very well these days as I had done more research since and rectified many issues.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Speaking from experience raising my Hermann's, I can tell you that hydration and humidity are key! My tortoise's shell doesn't look the best right now was because stupid me in the past didn't give it proper hydration when it was young. Give it plenty of hydration so that you don't make the mistake I made.

Also my tortoise is doing very well these days as I had done more research since and rectified many issues.
What did you do wrong? No daily soaks or just not keeping the enclosure humid?

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
What did you do wrong? No daily soaks or just not keeping the enclosure humid?
Both. Babies need soaks every day but I was only giving soaks every other day. The enclosure itself was also too dry. I used to use this horrible substrate called corncob grain which had as much ability to stay humid as a stone brick. Also a water dish is a life saver especially if the enclosure is still dry.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Both. Babies need soaks every day but I was only giving soaks every other day. The enclosure itself was also too dry. I used to use this horrible substrate called corncob grain which had as much ability to stay humid as a stone brick. Also a water dish is a life saver especially if the enclosure is still dry.
Thank you! I will make sure it’s humid and getting soaks everyday

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
Thank you! I will make sure it’s humid and getting soaks everyday
One last thing. Although soaks are extremely vital, make sure the water does not go higher than the plastron of the tortoise. Long ago I lost a baby after it got too much water into its lungs after being soaked in water too deep.