I have a question about soil...

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
You will have to read the label.

But from reading the ratings...I am not sure I'd be comfortable with it.

To be on the safe side...maybe try peat moss...or mix peat with some organic topsoil.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use the soil. Soil is composted yard waste. There is no way to know what it is made of. Is there a reason you cannot just use the native dirt that is in that area?

I can't see the ingredients on that bag, but if you use soil make sure it has no vermiculite or perlite. Most of them nowadays also come with the fertilizers, and some of them come with pesticides mixed in. Be careful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom. I wouldn't use it. I would use what you have in your area if possible. Just dig it from an area that is fertilizer and pesticide free

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, cannot help you with your question. Hope others will be able to.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Might contain sewage sludge.
Also avoid commercial "organic" potting soil. The Miracle-Grow stuff i particularly distrust, but any of these in US can LEGALLY contain sewage sludge with heavy metals, meds, etc.

KoopatheTortoise

I can't use the soil I have in my garden, I had it tested last year and it is slightly acidic. I wouldn't want to expose my tortoise to that. I asked the person at Home Depot and they said there is nothing added to it, it's just dirt

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
I use topsoil in Ireland. I rang the company that make the brand i use. They told me there was no pesticide/chemical added and that they are required to list these on the bag if they are present. No vermiculite or perlite either. Im not sure if this applies in other countries.

Rue

Canada
I can't use the soil I have in my garden, I had it tested last year and it is slightly acidic. I wouldn't want to expose my tortoise to that. I asked the person at Home Depot and they said there is nothing added to it, it's just dirt

The reviews said it contained bits of wire and other garbage.

It's not harder to buy peat moss and organic soil. ..so why buy the questionable stuff?

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I've heard the people at Home Depot say lots of things that are simply not true. I shop there but pretty much will always turn to the Internet for advice or reviews.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
All the soil around here is pretty acidic and it doesn't harm turtles who smear themselves in mud. Probably more acidic than your yard. It is only a concern for gardening. If you want to grow non-acid-loving plants, you need to add wood ashes or lime to bring up the pH.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use topsoil in Ireland. I rang the company that make the brand i use. They told me there was no pesticide/chemical added and that they are required to list these on the bag if they are present. No vermiculite or perlite either. Im not sure if this applies in other countries.

The key word there is "added". Sure they don't dump chemicals into the mix, but there might be chemicals on the stuff they used to make the mix. I don't know how it is in Ireland, but here in the US, lawn and garden chemicals are huge business. They have some toxic chemical to cure any ailment you can think of, and people are all too happy to buy and use them all. Then those clippings get put into a greens bin, picked up weekly and then made into "compost" and "soil" mixes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Most soils in the ground are acidic. This is due to the breakdown of organic matter. It is not harmful to tortoises in any way. Some plants actually do better in acidic soils. Like hibiscus, for example.

The person at HD is no different than the person at the pet store. They tell you what you want to hear in order to make a sale. Some of them mean well, but they don't know any better. They guy at HD does not know what your tortoise needs or what you should avoid for safety reasons.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Soil ph is different in different parts of the country. Texas Hill Country edge where I live for instance sits on bedrock of limestone, so my garden soil is very alcaline. I have to add lost of peat moss to grow pretty hydrengea or azalea. I would only worry about the chemical ADDITIVES and particulate matter that maybe ingested by your pet. Other than that I'd just use the soil from your garden and put cypress mulch or orchid bark on top to keep things clean. This way you can grow plants there for your tort to hide under and graze on

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
LOL!!! "Just dirt..."!!! That is hilarious.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The "dirt" where I live is very red from Bauxite. I mix it a bit of it with the peat moss and I hope that is OK. It is very fertile for plants.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
The "dirt" where I live is very red from Bauxite. I mix it a bit of it with the peat moss and I hope that is OK. It is very fertile for plants.
The red color maybe due to high copper content. I think any native dirt is ok for tortoise to live on. I just like my things cleaner, so I always top dress with mulch or orchid bark, plant mosses, ground covers. It keeps things cleaner and I think looks better too