Top soil smell?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hello, been a long while since I have been on this forum. Well atleast writing on it. Today was cleaning day in Tanks enclosure, I removed all the cypress mulch which is now impossible to find in large bags apparently. Where I live atleast. So I decided after years of using cypress to switch it up to top soil.

I drove to Walmart where they had the great value brand topsoil on for only 1 dollar. I bought a bunch places in in the enclosure and it has a really sour or even chemical like smell. My fiancé doesn't smell it says it smells like dirt but seeing as Tank is pretty much my child I am now worried. Is it just me or could this be a potential threat?

NataliaTG

Mexico
If you don't feel comfortable with it then maybe you should change it. It could be that the soil won't harm your tortoise, but who knows... better to be safe than sorry :)
good luck!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I use coconut coir, and when the first day I put it in the tank, sometimes it smells weird like that.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I would use coco coir also.
It does have a weird smell at first but safe and the smells gone after the third day. And its cheap in the brick forum