I have the tortoise "bug"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
So a few days ago I added a new tortoise, a hingeback, to my collection.

Now here I am three days later making arrangements to adopt two more tortoises! A 3-toe box and a Russian. They are being housed together in a 40 gallon tank. How could I say no?

This will bring the total to 4 turtles and 4 tortoises. And 2 dogs, 2 cockatiels, and 2 beardies!

LOL Thankfully the boyfriend is understanding!

Will post photos this weekend!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
...welcome to Animal Hoarders, Michigan! Just kidding Mandi! I've been bitten by the bug too!!! :):):)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
They are like potato chips, can't have just one :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
You aren't alone! I had to rehome my 2 tortoises a little over a year ago, and, ever since, I've been chomping at the bit to get more... Now I have 5 tortoises, a turtle, and, of course, the hefty list of other pets. I think it totals out to 21, not counting the feeder roaches...

And if my dad has his way, we'll be adding one Frilled Dragon and a Woma Python to that list in the next year or so. And if I have my way, there'll be another 3 or 4 snakes on top of it!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
it is difficult to say no...but did you say they're living in the same tank? that's not considered a good idea here by many.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you are seperating them all now right?
yep, they and the fact of just helping critters.. is contagious!

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Yes they were in the same tank. No UVB/UVA just a black light for heat. No water dish. The Russian has nail polish all over, and this was an adult who owned them. He did not even know what kind of tortoise the Russian was. They were being kept on care fresh bedding.

*Sigh* So sad. But now they are home!

The boxie, I believe to be male, is living in a 50 gallon breeder tank, and has already began chasing the worms. Until he found his hide and promptly dug in for a nap.

The Russian, which is a girl, thankfully! Since my male Russian will have no part in living with a male! She is in the 50 gallon long, soaking up some much needed UV rays. I separated my male into the smaller tank until the female has had time to adjust.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like it was a good thing they all found you! Now can I offer a word of advise? This is going come off, with me sounding like a big meanie and a party pooper, but it does need to be said. I would suggest that you now take a break (stay out of pet stores and off Craig's list for awhile). Get these guys settled in and give yourself some time to become really familiar with them.

With tortoises it is really easy to very quickly get really deep into them and have the numbers grow over night it seems. There are just all these critters out there needing "rescuing", who can help themselves and do anything less then to try to take them all in. I understand all that.

However, too often folks who have their numbers rise too quickly find themselves in a little too deep when an emergency arises or whatever. So not saying your doing wrong or you can't get more in the near future, just saying you might want to take it slow for a bit..just for now.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
You don't sound mean at all! And yes, now I am definitely at capacity!

The hingeback was something I wanted for a long time and was prepared for him. The other two I just could not refuse! I actually had an empty tank so it worked out perfectly! Everyone is settling in fine. Took everyone out for some sun today while I collected some nice worms and slugs (fun).

Status
Not open for further replies.