I Have Two Russians

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Aww to cute I have two Russians love them to pieces
Yours need to be separated. They should never live in pairs. The aggression they are demonstrating in that pics means that they are both highly stressed right now.

Reactions: Ink

chapdaab

Dickinson
Yours need to be separated. They should never live in pairs. The aggression they are demonstrating in that pics means that they are both highly stressed right now.
I just separated them recently and they seem more stressed apart constantly looking for each other my female always lays her head on the male when they sleep they find each other

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just separated them recently and they seem more stressed apart constantly looking for each other my female always lays her head on the male when they sleep they find each other
That's called anthropomorphism.

More likely they are both walking around to make sure their tormentor or intruder is really finally gone. And one of them is restless from finding itself in a new and unfamiliar territory and walking around trying to figure out how to get "home", since it finds its self in a new place. Both scenarios are totally normal and they do not miss each other.

chapdaab

Dickinson
That's called anthropomorphism.

More likely they are both walking around to make sure their tormentor or intruder is really finally gone. And one of them is restless from finding itself in a new and unfamiliar territory and walking around trying to figure out how to get "home", since it finds its self in a new place. Both scenarios are totally normal and they do not miss each other.
I understand you are knowledgeable but how are you to know unless you’ve met every tortoise in the world? How are you to think Russian tortoises can’t have a soul mate and mine just honesty like each others company, in my pic they were sleeping not budging they don’t bite each other or ram into each other or are weird with food and they have always been together just asking

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I understand you are knowledgeable but how are you to know unless you’ve met every tortoise in the world? How are you to think Russian tortoises can’t have a soul mate and mine just honesty like each others company, in my pic they were sleeping not budging they don’t bite each other or ram into each other or are weird with food and they have always been together just asking
Right. Centuries of animal study, decades of my own personal study of hundreds of tortoises kept in all sorts of ways, observation of other people's tortoises and methods, college degrees in animal behavior, and a plain understanding of animal behavior couple with pair dynamics, but your two tortoises are somehow different than all the rest.

Or... you just haven't learned this lesson the hard way yet. Take a look at these to find out what happens to tortoises when people have to learn the hard way:

Reactions: Ink

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
We are just trying to stop you from making a very terrible and sad mistake that many of us had made in the past. Don't take it personal, you do not have to follow what we say but be prepared for learning the hard way,

chapdaab

Dickinson
I completely understand and I watch them carefully it’s been over a year ... I do appreciate the info and I’ll think about it more thank you I’m not trying to be rude or a smart *** just asking questions just Incase there are cases of them being ok together sometimes there are exceptions

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I completely understand and I watch them carefully it’s been over a year ... I do appreciate the info and I’ll think about it more thank you I’m not trying to be rude or a smart *** just asking questions just Incase there are cases of them being ok together sometimes there are exceptions
I understand. Questions are welcome. I don't take offense. I would not just listen to some guy on the internet either, so I don't blame people for being skeptical or asking for more explanation.

Tortoises don't growl, snarl or raise their hackles to show aggression. Everyone can recognize the obvious signs like biting, ramming or mounting, but few people seem to realize that cuddling is really crowding. Following is really chasing and trying to make the other leave the territory. Sleeping in the same area is another form of trying to crowd the unwanted intruder out of the territory. Sleeping face to face, or resting a head on the other is an intimidation tactic. Laying on the food is a way of starving out the competition.

chapdaab

Dickinson
I understand. Questions are welcome. I don't take offense. I would not just listen to some guy on the internet either, so I don't blame people for being skeptical or asking for more explanation.

Tortoises don't growl, snarl or raise their hackles to show aggression. Everyone can recognize the obvious signs like biting, ramming or mounting, but few people seem to realize that cuddling is really crowding. Following is really chasing and trying to make the other leave the territory. Sleeping in the same area is another form of trying to crowd the unwanted intruder out of the territory. Sleeping face to face, or resting a head on the other is an intimidation tactic. Laying on the food is a way of starving out the competition.
I feed them on different sides they have there own dishes and they go to there own dishes which I recently did and actually like it better honestly

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Hi
I keep Russians and made the same mistake. Do yourself a favor and research this forum or check the links Tom sent you, there are numerous horror stories about keeping them together. In the wild they are 100% solitary we as responsible keepers need to mimic there natural tendencies. Please separate immediately it is not humane. Hopefully you heed the warning before it is too late.

Reactions: Tom

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I kept a colony of 2 male Russians and 4 females in a large enclosure. I must have been lucky because I didn't know any better. They all got a long and I never saw aggressive behavior. That being said, I agree with keeping tortoises separate, for the reasons stated above, but there are exceptions. I don't know why my set up, an outside pen of about 30 feet by 4 feet made of a wall of rocks. Plenty of hides and weeds to eat, plus I fed them every day. Just to add to the discussion. I also have seen large enclosures with 30 Sulcattas together and read somewhere that Aldabras like the company of each other. just thinking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I kept a colony of 2 male Russians and 4 females in a large enclosure. I must have been lucky because I didn't know any better. They all got a long and I never saw aggressive behavior. That being said, I agree with keeping tortoises separate, for the reasons stated above, but there are exceptions. I don't know why my set up, an outside pen of about 30 feet by 4 feet made of a wall of rocks. Plenty of hides and weeds to eat, plus I fed them every day. Just to add to the discussion. I also have seen large enclosures with 30 Sulcattas together and read somewhere that Aldabras like the company of each other. just thinking.
Groups can often work. We aren't talking about a group. We are talking about a pair. Pairs do not work.