Looking to get russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

qixer01

10 Year Member!
I have found two Russians on cl. One male and one female. About 7 years old. I currently have a Sulcata. How does care differ and can the be housed together?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
NO they can not be housed together... and the russians will prob not get along in a pair either... I wouldnt let that stop you from getting them IF you have the Money and the Room to house them.
Russians are climbers and escape artists. they like broad leafed weeds, can hibernate, or you can keep them inside and keep them awake with heat and lighting. Very personable.
A sulcata can injure the much smaller russian. and they might get each other sick if kept together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laura said:
NO they can not be housed together... and the russians will prob not get along in a pair either... I wouldnt let that stop you from getting them IF you have the Money and the Room to house them.
Russians are climbers and escape artists. they like broad leafed weeds, can hibernate, or you can keep them inside and keep them awake with heat and lighting. Very personable.
A sulcata can injure the much smaller russian. and they might get each other sick if kept together.

All points covered. I agree.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
1. The species can't be housed together. Their needs are very different.

2. Russians don't cohabit nicely with other Russians as they get older, unless they have lots of space... and there are more than 2 of them. By lots of space, I mean a large yard outdoors with plenty of hidey holes.

Regardless of gender, they start to defend territory and food. The male approach to females can only be described as violent. Russian fighting is hard and can lead to blood being drawn with the subordinate tortoise going into decline, becoming ill and possibly dying.

These two at 7 years old are at the stage where this will be starting.

You should only get them if you can keep them separately from each other and accept that this may have to be on a long-term basis.

I am coping with their close relative a mature male Greek. With the full testosterone levels of spring, he is making himself ill in his vain attempt to find sex... the vet assures me he's worse when he realises that other tortoises are in the area. Joe had to be sent home to recuperate as he was going crazy knowing their were other shelled in-patients at the surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.