I just can't decide: leopard or redfoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I've posted a bit here and there on the forum. :) I am having such a hard time making a final decision on which tort species to go with! Can you all give me your insight? I live in northcentral Florida, and I have a house with a large (50x150 foot) fenced yard. I love larger species, and would really love a sulcata but it's just not practical for me at this time to get one due to their size and destructive abilities. I keep fluctuating between leopards and redfoots (also I think Greeks and Hermanns are nice, but I'm looking for something larger). So really it comes down to leopard vs. redfoot.

Although both are beautiful, I do love the look of leopards especially. I'd also prefer something that will be personable. We get a bit cold in the winter, and I have some indoor space to temporarily house one or two torts but will also happily construct a heated shed in the yard for their use.

So I suppose my dilemma is... Two redfoots (which would probably slowly increase to a colony:) ) or two leopards?

Edit: Or one leopard?

dcwolfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
I love leopards and it never gets old to watch them grow because u never know what color might come in each month.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
Haha, it's clear there is strong support on both sides! Is there a huge difference in personalities between the two species? I've heard that, in general, leopards are a bit more shy than redfoots. I'm just hoping for a species that is interactive, i.e. will walk over to me for food or a pat. :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I can't speak for leopards but most redfoots are quite curious and interactive. They all have their own personalities though and if you get a hatchling of either species it will be relatively shy for the first year or two. Bite-sized torts & turtles like to hide.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
One leopard! Two may cause problems. But if you can separate them, two leopards! :D

dcwolfe said:
I love leopards and it never gets old to watch them grow because u never know what color might come in each month.

Massively agree! I think mine is in a white phase at the moment. Also she is very interactive and not too shy. Will walk all over me if she had to.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
It's really all personal preference, I mean redfoots have amazing skin coloring and leopards have awesome shells! If you want to have a few in the future redfoots are known for doing very well in groups. I personally am bias towards redfoots since I have had my little guy for a year and am about to add another. Do you know if you will be looking for a hatchling or adult?

Logan J

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365709339.737497.jpg

Love my red her name is LJ

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365709447.766324.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A redfoot will do better in your climate, and generally speaking they are more outgoing than a typical leopard.

Some people in humid climates have trouble keeping leopards healthy as outdoor housed adults.

abclements

5 Year Member
I too am for the red foots! They're awesome and really pretty! A colony of rf would be awesome in your yard!

gargonshepard

5 Year Member
I was debating this very thing after deciding a Sulcata was not practicle. I went with a Red Foot and I have not been one bit dissapointed.[/i]

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
Thank you so much to everyone who has given their help and opinions. :) The majority of you seem to recommend the redfoot. I think my problem is, I want one or two of everything and therefore can't make up my mind! Today especially I've been leaning heavily towards Golden Greeks. (See, I am all over the place.) I do love the larger species but there's something about the Greeks that appeal to me, perhaps that they stay more manageable in size. A 9-10" adult female seems just big enough, but not hard to house indoors during colder months. Oh goodness, I gotta keep thinking about this one.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
If it helps, I also vote redfoots for the same reasons: do well in groups and they fare great in the Sunshine State.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The area you live in is ideal for redfoots and they are very personable and do well in groups as already mentioned. I have 2.2 group of adults and never had a problem with them. They have never been sick in any way and they are very hardy when taken care of. I have never owned a leopard so I cant say to much on them

Status
Not open for further replies.