I need advice on Spunkys Indoor Enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I've looked everywhere for coco coir and can't find it locally. What else can be used? I need something asap that will be safe for him.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Organic topsoil is always a chaoice as is cypress mulch and orchid bark. What kind of tort do you have?

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Sulcata he's, I say he I don't really know the sex not sure how to tell. I'm a first time Tortoise mom and I want everything perfect for him.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I would use organic topsoil with some cypress mulch on top, but I don't know much about sulcatas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he is still really little, please read Toms threads below in my post. They all are good info for raising a sulcata. You can also get coconut coir online for cheaper then you can buy in the store. Plain dirt and cypress mulch will also work. Coir in my opinion is best, because it holds humidity the best and won't mold.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
It depends on if you want a dirty little tort or semi dirty tort...lol...cocoir is good to hold humidity, but will stick and is messy like soil. Cypress mulch and moss are good also.really its what you prefer, as long as it isn't pellets or aspen shavings. And as long as it will hold moisture. One word of advise. Before you put your bedding in, i would freeze it first to kill off any bugs.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thank you all so much. This info has been so helpful. Does anyone know if oak mulch is safe? I only ask because we have lots of it. Just wasn't sure about using it.

I mean I can get cypress mulch, but just thought if it was safe I could use it.

the oak mulch

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Some one posted Loam coir is better than cocoa coir....but I got my cocoa coir at petsmart

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thank you very much. Would you happen to know if oak mulch is ok for them? I know cypress mulch is ok.

I feel awful he was a rescue and normally my finances are straight but right now my budgets very tight. I thought maybe if the oak mulch is safe I could use it for now.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
I am also new to the tort world, but I believe I have read oak is not good for torts...

abclements

5 Year Member
sissyofone said:
Ok thank you very much. I will check that out.

If i has a pine smell to it, i wouldnt use it. People say that the aromas can be a problem for torts.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thank you for advice. It has no aroma but going in am to get the cypress mulch. I'm just gonna stick with what's advised. Lol I don't want to take any chances. Using that oak mulch. Thanks abunch :)

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Okay so I got the organic top soil and the cypress mulch. I put a little mulch on bottom of tank about half an inch, and I put about 2 inches of the organic top soil on top of it. Is this correct? Should I put the mulch on top of the soil also ? Any advice appreciated.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
For some reason Spunky is pacing back and fourth in his aquarium. We put cypress mulch and organic topsoil in his enclosure today and gave him a new hidey box. We did this today, while he was soaking. Put him in and not ten minutes later he began pacing bk and fourth at the front of aquarium, so i put a border up at bottom of tank so he cant see directly out. And he continues to do this. Im not sure why. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.