I need help! (humidity?)

Tort_nube

Here's the deal. I receive a sulcata tortoise Tuesday morning this week from backwater reptiles. I have done my share of research the last few months but I need more knowledge! I've set up a small children's play pool with coconut coir and cypress mulch for a nice soft texture and designed a plastic container as the hide box. I already have the new ballasted mercury vapor bulb purchased to provide UVA and UVB plus heat. How do you keep humidity up?! And also I'm slightly alarmed because I plan on keeping the tort in my basement where temp is in the 60's why is that bad? If I keep the heat lamp on during the day and possibly a heat lamp on at night will the temperature be a big problem? Please offer your advice thank you!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I am assuming you are getting a hatchling. Hatchlings need constant warmth, 80° plus, and humidity. You are not going to be able to get that with the kiddie pool. Cool temperatures and humidity equal respiratory infections and possible death. Check out the care sheet under the sulcata section. I would also look up reviews here for the place where you are getting your tortoise. Baby tortoises are fragile and cannot tolerate The wrong environment.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

How about posting pictures of your tort, its enclosure and so on, so as to enable the experts to help you more.

Also, please remember that torts need TIME, and A LOT OF TIME to adapt, therefore, please be.....patient.

Tort_nube

I am assuming you are getting a hatchling. Hatchlings need constant warmth, 80° plus, and humidity. You are not going to be able to get that with the kiddie pool. Cool temperatures and humidity equal respiratory infections and possible death. Check out the care sheet under the sulcata section. I would also look up reviews here for the place where you are getting your tortoise. Baby tortoises are fragile and cannot tolerate The wrong environment.

Hello and thank you so much for the comment but I have a couple follow up questions for you. First, if I kept my tort outside for the majority of the day where temps are usually high 80's to 70's in Illinois would that be okay and then bring the tort inside at night? Also just because it's a bit cooler in the basements wouldn't the heat lamp solve that problem? Do the tortoises not sit under the lamp if it's cold in the other parts of the enclosure? Until the weather gets bad I do plan on keeping the tort outside for the majority of the day! Thank you so much I appreciate all the help so much!

Tort_nube

A very warm welcome to the forum.

How about posting pictures of your tort, its enclosure and so on, so as to enable the experts to help you more.

Also, please remember that torts need TIME, and A LOT OF TIME to adapt, therefore, please be.....patient.

Thank you so much! I plan on posting everything shortly! I get the little guy tomorrow so I will have plenty of updates for you all :)