I need help making a decision

macky9326

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
So I've had Toby (russian) a wee while now and he's doing great, his personality is starting to shine through and he seems very comfortable here. However, last night my mum asked me if she could have permission to take him down to our local nursery to let the kids see him and try to teach them a little about tortoises, which I think is great, but I've denied her permission to take my tortoise down there because I've only had him 4/5 months and I don't want to cause him any undue stress, like I said he seems very happy at the moment, am I right in doing this because the health of my tortoise comes before the kids at the local nursery, she's already told them he is coming in but I don't think it's a good idea, any opinions???

Many thanks x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your tort is not shy of you then I don't see a problem. If your tort is still very shy of you, then I would wait until he is more comfortable about humans. I would advise mom, to not let the little kids hold him, but pet only. Too many kids like to drop things if it makes a sudden move. Also, educating little ones on tortoise, their care, etc, is a good thing. Forming the future tortoise lover:)

macky9326

Scotland
He's not shy of me and my girlfriend but he's very very cautious around strangers, so I'm not sure a gang of young children is the best idea

But I fully agree with the education part of it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And take a bottle of hand sanitizer and a roll pf paper towels with you. Have them sanitize before they touch and after they touch.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Laura and Yvonne are right on. :D

Before having my own kids, I did just this..taking a group of animals out for these types of educational presentations.

Do a round of hand sanitizer before starting. You hold the tortoise, not them, then a final round of cleaning hands :)

Have fun!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see your dilemma.

Doing this could be good for the kids, but there is no benefit to your tortoise. Might stress him out.

Katelyn

United States
I work at a daycare. Recently I took my Sulcata, Bruce into the daycare for the kids to see on 'Show-and-tell' day...The kids LOVED it! It was so exciting for me to see their excited little faces as they watched Bruce... I only let the kids touch, not hold him and we washed our hands before AND after they got to pet him. It was all-in-all a great experience and I would recommend it as long as special precautions are used (cleanliness) and as long as the kids don't get to hold it (to prevent harm to all parties involved).
We also used it as a letter lesson... 'T'-"tuh"-Tortoise. (;
Oh, I might want to add that my tort is very spunky and not shy at all... and he really didn't seem to mind the trip and/or kids one bit... But, you know your tort best and if you're afraid of stressing him out, follow your gut. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I used to take numerous tortoises around to schools and I believe it is not only good for the kids but for the tortoises also. I like to socialize my animals, handling them a lot and for one thing it makes it easier if they need to go to the Vet. Easier for her to examine them. None of my tortoises are shy or suck their heads in when handled. Also, the paper towels are for accidents, so I also brought a bag to haul away the waste. I also copied the outline of a tortoise so the kids could color it, they really liked that part.
It is fun to do that, sometimes I did 5 or 6 classes in a day.
I don't do it any more, but your Mom will enjoy it. Make all the kids sit on the floor in a circle it's easier that way...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Maggie, sounds like the kids had a wonderful time!

macky9326, go with your instincts. And if you take him, you should go along if at all possible, to monitor the situation.
He will probably do fine, but you can keep an eye on him.

macky9326

Scotland
Update! :)

Toby went on Tuesday and LOVED it, the kids learnt so much and he loved all the attention and space, and apart from the fact he took great interest in a little girls flower patterned tights everything went smoothly, thanks for the advice!! :)