I need help regarding eggs.

bil

Location (City and/or State)
india
So i have a pair of indian star tortoise.
Female had laid eggs 3 months ago in the hole that she digged at that time.
Just couple of days ago she digged another hole exactly on the side of old location on which she laid Eggs. but she filled up that second hole at night & i am not sure what exactly she did.
My question is should I dig the first hole in which eggs were laid & check it's condition?

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_135815.jpg
    IMG_20201022_135815.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Just couple of days ago she digged another hole exactly on the side of old location on which she laid Eggs. but she filled up that second hole at night & i am not sure what exactly she did.
My question is should I dig the first hole in which eggs were laid & check it's condition?

hello and welcome !
I am sorry but I don’t know much about buried eggs but I will call on the experts.
They should be along shortly. Or maybe come on tomorrow..as it is late
Good luck AMD don’t worry too much
I’m sure everything is fine.
You are on my prayer list tonight..❤️???

@Yvonne G
@Tom
@zovick
@maggie3fan
@ZEROPILOT

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you want them to hatch, I'd get an incubator set up and running at the correct temperature, and then dig the eggs up and put them in it.

This will help: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

bil

india
If you want them to hatch, I'd get an incubator set up and running at the correct temperature, and then dig the eggs up and put them in it.

This will help: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
What about natural incubation? I have niether an incubator nor have any idea about incubation process.

My tortoise has deliverd pair of babies 2 times through natural incubation in the past but at that time i was ignorant & didn't paid any attention to whole process.

But this time now that i know about her egg laid timing i am getting worried about condition of eggs because since last few years she haven't deliverd babies same way & a year ago when i searched for the eggs i found them damaged inside the hole. So this time i don't want to take any chances.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have niether an incubator nor have any idea about incubation process.

...because since last few years she haven't deliverd babies same way & a year ago when i searched for the eggs i found them damaged inside the hole. So this time i don't want to take any chances.

You've answered your own questions. I linked the thread above to tell you how to incubate.

The reason you dig them up to incubate instead of leaving them in the ground is quoted above.

zovick

10 Year Member!
What about natural incubation? I have niether an incubator nor have any idea about incubation process.

My tortoise has deliverd pair of babies 2 times through natural incubation in the past but at that time i was ignorant & didn't paid any attention to whole process.

But this time now that i know about her egg laid timing i am getting worried about condition of eggs because since last few years she haven't deliverd babies same way & a year ago when i searched for the eggs i found them damaged inside the hole. So this time i don't want to take any chances.
If you don't have an incubator or the knowledge to set one up, just leave the eggs where they are. The ones which are three months old may hatch any day now. The new ones may hatch in another 90 to 120 days or so. In the natural habitat, tortoise eggs usually hatch at or near the beginning of the rainy season.

bil

india
Today I found this tiny baby tortoise from the same location. What do you think guys is it came from some new eggs which I am not aware of or is it possible that incubation period can be more than one and half year?

Please do list some advice in how I should take care of this baby tortoise?

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_191120.jpg
    IMG_20220706_191120.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11

bil

india
Today I found this tiny baby tortoise from the same location. What do you think guys is it came from some new eggs which I am not aware of or is it possible that incubation period can be more than one and half year?

@Chefdenoel10 @zovick

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Here is the correct care info. Soak that baby early and often. They must be soaked daily at that size.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi! 🙋‍♀️
Welcome to the forum!!
Glad you came here.
Above Tom has posted all the RIGHT information for you to read and follow.
If you do, I promise , you will have a happy and healthy tortoise for many years to come.
I have been taking advice from this forum for years now and finally…. FINALLY…
I am doing it correctly!!!
😓
Any questions, please!!
Don’t hesitate to ASK!!
We are all here I help you!! 😘❤️🙏