I need help with my enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
I have been working on an enclosure for my adult redfoot that was recently given to me. The dimensions for the enclosure is 8'x15'. The perimeter is a foot high and is made of landscape timbers. The real problems I am having is whether or not I should put hardware cloth on top to keep predators out. I am able to do this but it will be difficult and I would have to raise the height so that plants could grow. I need solutions fast because this project has to be completed by the end of the week end. Any suggestions at all are appreciated!
Thanks
John

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

There are raccoons, opossums, coyotes, skunks and the occasional fox running through my neighborhood. None of my enclosures have lids or are predator proof except for the baby habitats.

In the evening, I go around and make sure that each and every single turtle and tortoise is in his house, then I barricade the door to keep them inside and predators outside. I don't leave the babies out at night. They all come inside into a cardboard box for the night.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Hey Yvonne:

Thanks for the suggustions can you tell me if the demensions of my enclosure is decent for a pair of redfoots. And is one foot high enough for the walls? Thank you very much!

John

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Of course, bigger is always better, however, I think that 8'x15' would be ok for a pair of adult red foot tortoises. After you get it all planted and decorated, with a little wading pond and hiding places, you might find that you need to make it a bit bigger. How I judge the height of my walls, I put one tortoise on the ground by the fence, then I put another tortoise, standing on the first tortoise's back and reaching up to the top of the fence. If he can reach his front toes over the top board to grasp, he will be able to climb out.

Status
Not open for further replies.