I need serious help

Darbi

Location (City and/or State)
Geuteng
So yesteday I got a 1 and a half year old leopard tortoise and I made a very small place for him to live and he ate and drink normaly. I opted for a bigger area for him to stay in. He has been wondering around but has yet to eat or drink. He mostly sleeps the entire day ocasionaly wonders over to where the food is stands there for 1 or 2 minutes and goes back to his little hidy hole. He looks quite deppresed and I dont know if im feeding him correctly. His living space is right outside a window. I dont have a heating lamp because we dont exactly have a budget for that. But I promissed myself the next item hell be getting is a heating lamp. But enough rambling on im feeding him tomatoes lettuce and coalslaw (I dont want to be a terrible owners so any help will very appreciated) if you have any food sugestions other than that please let me know. I have read a few post that hell adapt overtime but my biggest concern is that he has not eaten a single peice of food since i putt him in his new living space. I am also a bit woried about the amount of food im giving him, he is quite small so I domt want to overfeed him either so any quantity sugestions will be appreciated aswell. Now youve come to the end of this ramble I hope you understood atleast one sentence. Thanks you.

-Darbi

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Darbi, and welcome to the Forum!

Leopard tortoises prefer the broad-leaf weeds and plants to grass, and the food items you're offering really aren't things a tortoise should eat. Try giving him some endive, escarole, dandelion greens, turnip greens, kale, collards, rose of sharon, hibiscus, violas, hosta, pansies, sow thistle, etc. To get him started eating you can even try the packaged lettuces like spring mix, etc.

Darbi

Geuteng
Thanks...sorry very new to this whole tortoise thing thanks for helping out

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@CarolM is also in South Africa. Maybe she can direct you to tortoise food items that are more familiar to you. I've sent her an alert.