I need to be schooled on tortoise rearing!

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana, CA
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have joined to learn about caring for our recently adopted California Desert Tortoise. His name is Master Chief, we refer to him as "Chief".

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Master chief? LOL great name. What are your questions?

Fontana, CA
Master chief? LOL great name. What are your questions?

Hello! member formerly known as captain awesome,

Thank you for responding.

To start, I'm wondering about how I should house/keep him. I was told to put him outside however, I wasn't fully prepared when I got the call to pick him up, so I have been winging it. At this moment he's inside wandering freely because it's been raining. I purchased a puppy kennel to keep him in outside because I didn't want him roaming in the patio where we had recently sprayed the weeds. We will be moving to a house with a yard before the end of the month, and I'm not sure whether I should build an enclosure or just make sure that the yard is completely secured.

I also have questions about feeding, I have given him romaine mostly but have been reading that it should be fed in a varied diet. I will get him some kale and or spring mix in the morning. How much do they eat? A bag of mix a meal? or a day?

I was told that the owners who gave him up kept him in an aquarium and he has a pyramid shaped shell.

I just want to provide the best environment and diet that is available here.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Is it an adult, or.juevinile? Spring mix is good choice. Depending on the size of the tortoisr, a nice escape proof outdoor enclosure, is ts the best way. Good call on keepung him away from the pesticides.

Fontana, CA
Is it an adult, or.juevinile? Spring mix is good choice. Depending on the size of the tortoisr, a nice escape proof outdoor enclosure, is ts the best way. Good call on keepung him away from the pesticides.

Thank you!

I have no idea how old he is, he measures about 8-9 inches long.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
9 inches and he was kept in an aquariun?!?! That is so sad.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437381324.266628.jpg
it's not good to just let a tort walk around the house . It's a tank with legs if a lamp cord gets in its way if it don't taste test it , it will pull the lamp over and get hurt . Torts taste test everything including carpet fuss and it can't digest it . Or spit it up like a cat .
As far as food you just killed the best food ( grass and weeds ) spring mix is second best but mix in other things as well so everyday is new ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437381728.085479.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437381750.548480.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437381777.898042.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437381808.079442.jpg
I hope this helps a lot , and it needs a outdoor enclosure .

Fontana, CA
Hi Grandpa Turtle!

Thanks for the advice. He sure is a little tank, we are enjoying him and his curiosity.

I did also buy him some st augustine's grass but didn't offer it today because it is pouring outside and I didn't want to bring it in. He did get to bask in our courtyard and graze a little bit this morning before the freak thunderstorm started. I will definitely work on the outdoor enclosure. We will most likely move this coming weekend. Any ideas on what to build it out of? What should I put inside? Redlands is having a show on 8/15 and I'm planning to get him a ramp or bridge for the yard. I'm also wondering if he will hibernate.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You don't have to hibernate the CDT. Unless you want him to ! Go to the Internet you will see that the Calif. has a great deal on building its enclosure with its tunnel or underground cave for a house . Or today when some people wake they will have some great advise for you . I have 5 AZ Desert torts I've had for about 5-6 years I'm still hoping to get 2females then I want to adopt 2 out

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, that is so sad. It takes some pretty bad care to cause a desert tortoise's shell to grow deformed. They can take a lot of abuse. I'm so glad to see this poor tortoise taken away from that kind of care and in a better situation now.

Here's a link to a good care sheet on desert tortoises, and you'll be able to see what Chief should have grown up to look like:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

Please get this tortoise set up outside in real sunshine as soon as you can. He'll never look 'normal', but it will be much healthier for him to live outside.