I never see my tortoise.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I have a Russian tortoise that is one and ahalf years old. I have had him since he was a month old. He’s growing great, eats like crazy, seems healthy overall. The problem is I barely ever see him. He is always hiding. He comes out sometime during the day to eat and as far as I can tell that’s it. There is a hide on each end and a bark flat in the middle that he also hides in. Recently I added a bunch of plants hoping that might make more cover and make him feel more secure. But it doesn’t seem to help.
Do you think he will spend more time out as he gets older? When is a Russian tortoise not considered a baby anymore?

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Keep waking him up, make sure your temps are right, move him around to different areas of his enclosure, make sure there aren't any problems with lighting that is too intense.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Can we see some pictures of him and his enclosure? Tell him you won't put him on TV and it's just this one time.

Here are some pictures. Maybe it is too bright, I wanted it brighter but maybe I over did it.
IMG_4140.jpgIMG_4138.jpg
There is a big hide on each end and other various things to be under and walk around.

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Here are some pictures. Maybe it is too bright, I wanted it brighter but maybe I over did it.
View attachment 230380View attachment 230381
There is a big hide on each end and other various things to be under and walk around.

His enclosure looks great! Maybe he just has a shy personality? The only time I see my Greek is when he is hungry. Then he'll start pacing. And looking up at me for food.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I like it. Maybe you could put some of that fish tank paper with a forest pattern on the glass about four inches from the bottom (on the outside) going right along the front to make him feel more secure?

Destben

Kansas
When they are young they are in survival mode. That means hide from predators , sleep, & eat. He will probably be more out going the older he gets.