I never thought we would own a tortoise....

MichaelaCV

Location (City and/or State)
Waterloo, Iowa
Hi - I am new here. I live in Northeastern Iowa. My daughter has loved all things turtle and tortoise her entire life. She is a nature girl. She is turning 11 this weekend and she has asked for a tortoise. A Russian to be exact. She is very responsible and I have no doubt she will love it forever. I have been researching how to set up the habitat and care for them when I ran across this site. You have a wealth of knowledge here that I wish I would have found before I ordered the items for the habitat. :) I plan on giving her the habitat for her birthday and she can build it and we will test the temps and humidity for a week or so. I will also show her this site so that she can learn from you all as well. I thought we would order the tortoise once we knew the habitat was good to go. I saw a post on here that indicated some of you know who the reputable sellers are online. If you could pm me and let me know your recommendation I would appreciate it. I do not have any options in town and I really don't know anything about any of the sellers. I will post pictures of the habitat once we get it all set up so you can offer recommendations to us. I appreciate your help and thank you for proving so much info to help tortoise owners. Michaela

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Your Russian will need a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure when it's an adult. Smaller will do for awhile if you get a hatchling.
Be careful of information you get from other sites and/or pet stores. It's usually bad or outdated info.
I recommend any breeder from this forum that is an very active member. Off hand I can't think of any, but someone should be able to list some.
Be sure to catch the look on your daughters face when she realizes what will be living in the enclosure and share with us.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
My opinion....Russians are escape artists. Babies are a pain to take care of. I would get an adult if I were you. Babies are horrible as a first time pet because they're fragile to their environment. You gotta get temps and humidity juuuust right. I hear Russians are very personable though...

MichaelaCV

Waterloo, Iowa
My opinion....Russians are escape artists. Babies are a pain to take care of. I would get an adult if I were you. Babies are horrible as a first time pet because they're fragile to their environment. You gotta get temps and humidity juuuust right. I hear Russians are very personable though...
That is good to know. I had been thinking to get juvenile, I thought the babies seem fragile. I am not stuck on a Russian though...and I think I can talk with her about pros and cons. The habitat I have ordered has a lid of sorts with mess wire across the top, I cannot have it escaping....we have a busy house and a lab, who would love to make new friends with a tortoise. What would you recommend for a first time tortoise owner?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
All the Testudo make good first tortoises - Greeks, Russians and Hermann’s. Care of all 3 is broadly similar.

Be aware that all pet store Russians are wild caught regardless of what they say. Pet stores rarely have any actual knowledge of how to care for tortoises and their care sheets outdated. You are more likely to get a healthy animal from a breeder.

They are territorial and don’t get lonely. Do not get talked into buying a pair. They need to be kept separately.

I recommend you read these TFO care guides for a broad understanding.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
Yea! Can’t wait to see pics of your new Russian. I know you will help your daughter along the way like I have helped my son with his Yellow Foot. They are a bonded pair at this point and I think it is a great idea for your daughter’s birthday. You will get very attached to it in a short amount of time! Enjoy

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yea! Can’t wait to see pics of your new Russian. I know you will help your daughter along the way like I have helped my son with his Yellow Foot. They are a bonded pair at this point and I think it is a great idea for your daughter’s birthday. You will get very attached to it in a short amount of time! Enjoy

There’s no such thing as a bonded pair of tortoises!

They tolerating each other’s company... you’re lucky so far.

Jbrez

Minnesota
Welcome I live in southern Minnesota,and have a Russian. He is so much fun and has great personality. They are fairly easy to care for once you get things set up. You came to the right place . Don’t hesitate to ask questions .

MichaelaCV

Waterloo, Iowa
Thank you everyone! I will keep you posted and keep reading up on the materials on this website. The habitat materials should arrive tomorrow and she will get them Saturday! This is truely a great resource for information, I am so glad I found this website!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Babies are easy if you just set them up right, and buy them from a breeder who starts them correctly. They are no different than an adult really. Because you guys are setting up the enclosure and running it before you get the baby, and because you are learning and doing all your research before you have the tortoise, I think a baby would do very well in your care. You will have a tough time finding a captive bred juvenile or adult, as almost all of them are wild caught.

I have some bad news, but hopefully you will be glad to have gotten it before permanent damage was done. Those ZooMed Tortoise houses are not good for tortoises. They are too small for an adult and too open on top for a baby. The hide area is also way too big, and damp substrate will leak and ruin the wood. You need a glass tank or a large plastic tub for a baby. Maybe you could save the ZooMed house and use it as a sunning enclosure for a baby russian in fair weather?

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope you enjoy your new tortoise.