I so Tortoise

Dianep

Location (City and/or State)
19403. (PA)
Hi Everyone,
My family is in search of a tortoise. Our BABY Sulcata tort recently passed away unexpectedly. My boys Frankie(9),Louis(8) and I are so upset. We have everything already for a new tortoise. We are not picky. We are just interested in a heathy tortoise. We are from Norristown,Pa.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Sorry about your loss.
Just want to give you a heads up to do your home work on the members that may respond to this thread. Long time active members are trust worthy. New members we have no idea if they are trust worthy or scammers.

Dianep

19403. (PA)
Hello and Welcome. Sorry about your loss.
Just want to give you a heads up to do your home work on the members that may respond to this thread. Long time active members are trust worthy. New members we have no idea if they are trust worthy or scammers.

Dianep

19403. (PA)
Thank you for the heads up! I was hoping someone close to me may know someone who is looking for a home for their tortoise..

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’m sorry for your loss :(
May I ask where you got the tortoise from and how long you had it?
In the meantime, please take a look at these threads-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Sadly, most of the information out there online is false. These threads have been put together by very trustworthy species experts who have been working and experimenting with the care of tortoises for decades.
Welcome to the forum!

Dianep

19403. (PA)
I’m sorry for your loss :(
May I ask where you got the tortoise from and how long you had it?
In the meantime, please take a look at these threads-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Sadly, most of the information out there online is false. These threads have been put together by very trustworthy species experts who have been working and experimenting with the care of tortoises for decades.
Welcome to the forum!

Dianep

19403. (PA)
My husband surprised me with Taco and bought him from a pet store close to us. I did immedialty buy a book about Sulcatas. I did soak him everyday. Not twice though. He was fed weeds from outside and salad that I read was ok. He never was interested in eating the hay or pellets that I bought for him.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My husband surprised me with Taco and bought him from a pet store close to us. I did immedialty buy a book about Sulcatas. I did soak him everyday. Not twice though. He was fed weeds from outside and salad that I read was ok. He never was interested in eating the hay or pellets that I bought for him.

Do these symptoms sound familiar at all?
"Hatchling Failure Syndrome"
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/"Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome".23493/
Those books are usually decades old and obsolete, and usually end up being a death trap for tortoises.
I’m sure your new tortoise will thrive. Do you have an enclosure set up for it yet, and if so, could we see a picture?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Sorry to hear of the loss of your Sully, I’m sure all are devastated. We live in Md, near Annapolis, but had our Sully shipped in from @Lancecham in California. Lance knows how to get Sully hatchlings off to a great start, overnight shipping is a breeze.

Best of luck!

Dianep

19403. (PA)
I do not know how to send a picture on here. Taco was at the store on pellets when my husband bought him. Yes, that does sound alot like what happened with him. I'l sent you my tort table.. My dad build it for him. Let me figure out how to send a pic first.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I do not know how to send a picture on here. Taco was at the store on pellets when my husband bought him. Yes, that does sound alot like what happened with him. I'l sent you my tort table.. My dad build it for him. Let me figure out how to send a pic first.

I find it a lot easier to send photos on our app, if that helps :)

Dianep

19403. (PA)
Hmm. So I joined and it keeps saying that I do not have permission to send the pic I'm trying to send..

Dianep

19403. (PA)
Greetings. Sorry to hear of the loss of your Sully, I’m sure all are devastated. We live in Md, near Annapolis, but had our Sully shipped in from @Lancecham in California. Lance knows how to get Sully hatchlings off to a great start, overnight shipping is a breeze.

Best of luck!
Thank you

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I can’t quite see the picture too clearly, but here’s what you need to do for your next tortoise-
- turn the enclosure into a closed chamber. Your tort needs humidity at 80% at all times, and temps should never go below 80 in the coldest part of your enclosure, even at night. Baby torts get cold and dehydrated quick.
-be sure that you have the proper lights- tube uvb or mercury vapor bulb instead of compact bulbs, a white daylight flood bulb, and ceramic heat emitter(s) on a thermostat for night temps
-humid hide
-sink the bowl into the substrate
-work on a new enclosure. That little table won’t last long, and it will be very hard to keep the correct temps and humidity without covering it.
I think that if you follow everything in the links a sent you, you should have a happy and healthy baby :)