I think I'm ready!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squidget

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh
Well after a lifetime of dreaming,countless hours of research,and lots of work ( not to mention money lol) I believe I am ready to welcome a little sulcata to my family. The table is built the temps are stable (75 in the coolest part up to 108 in the basking spot and ranging between those everywhere else. He should be arriving hopefully either thurs or fri all the way from California. He is 4-5inches and about 5 months old. I'm calling him a he until he is older and I know for sure. Right now he will be on the tort table and once he grows a bit more in an open enclose on the floor where e can come and go as he pleases until it warms up then he will be outside for tr summer. He is going to be a very spoiled guy lol. I have picked up some cuttle bones cactus treats Bermuda grass ad ox bows orchard grass hay. And I always have Anton of greens left over from my other herp kids (iguana beardie and box turtle...all rescues) that he can be supplemented with. Doesn't sound like I've got everything he needs?Here's some pics of the table before and after I did some decorating.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/lannyfanny88/1de34bd5.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/lannyfanny88/bc666d7e.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/lannyfanny88/9d1dd8df.jpg

And here's is a pic from the breeder.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/lannyfanny88/656a5c6b.jpg

My fiancé and I couldn't decide which we liked best just from the pics. I wanted lefty and he wanted righty lol. So I just told the breeder to pick which one he thought would beg fit in with us and we would love either one equally lol. If anyone has any questions or advice for me I would love to hear. Thank you

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D I have to agree with the fiance, I'd have gone righty too! :D They are both cuties. Welcome to the forum and the totally awesome world of tortoises! :D :tort: :D

Squidget

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Thanks guys. Honesty I think he will send righty because that's the one I originally said yes to to let me fiancé win lol. But I like guessing games do we will see who arrives. Haha for the price it shoul be both of them lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Congrats, and for some reason I like lefty.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

Very cute babies :) Just be prepared for your baby to be smaller than you are expecting, unless those are older photos. Most likely he will be three inches max, based on what I can see of the growth lines.

Squidget

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Kristina said:
Welcome to the forum!

Very cute babies :) Just be prepared for your baby to be smaller than you are expecting, unless those are older photos. Most likely he will be three inches max, based on what I can see of the growth lines.
Thank you. I'm just going by what the breeder said size wise. Unfortunately I haven't seen them in person yet because they are in Cali and I live in PA. But either way I will love him and it's not like he won't one day be 4-5 inches anyway haha. Oh

Squidget

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Irwin4530 said:
My only advice.........GET BOTH :p

Haha I totally would if I had more land and a bigger house lol and we don't even have a tiny house or anything lol. It's just two of those monsters stomping around would be a bit much lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Squidget:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME:D there is some great advice for raising a smooth sulcata in the threads listed at the bottom of this post with my signature, if you haven't read them already. Good luck. They both are very cute.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Congrats!

A Sulcata (or Burmese or Aldabra) definitely figures into my gf's life dream as well, so I know how you must have felt before getting the tort - and I look forward to knowing how you feel once you get it, too! ;)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

I also would have chosen the right one! (as apposed to the wrong one...;))

Squidget

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Squidget said:
Well after a lifetime of dreaming,countless hours of research,and lots of work ( not to mention money lol) I believe I am ready to welcome a little sulcata to my family. The table is built the temps are stable (75 in the coolest part up to 108 in the basking spot and ranging between those everywhere else. He should be arriving hopefully either thurs or fri all the way from California. He is 4-5inches and about 5 months old. I'm calling him a he until he is older and I know for sure. Right now he will be on the tort table and once he grows a bit more in an open enclose on the floor where e can come and go as he pleases until it warms up then he will be outside for tr summer. He is going to be a very spoiled guy lol. I have picked up some cuttle bones cactus treats Bermuda grass ad ox bows orchard grass hay. And I always have Anton of greens left over from my other herp kids (iguana beardie and box turtle...all rescues) that he can be supplemented with. Doesn't sound like I've got everything he needs?Here's some pics of the table before and after I did some decorating.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/lannyfanny88/1de34bd5.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/lannyfanny88/bc666d7e.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/lannyfanny88/9d1dd8df.jpg

And here's is a pic from the breeder.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/lannyfanny88/656a5c6b.jpg

My fiancé and I couldn't decide which we liked best just from the pics. I wanted lefty and he wanted righty lol. So I just told the breeder to pick which one he thought would beg fit in with us and we would love either one equally lol. If anyone has any questions or advice for me I would love to hear. Thank you

I forgot to add the decorated pic of the table lol

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx264/lannyfanny88/1ba75598.jpg

Still lots of work to do but that's half the fun lol

Squidget

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
jkingler said:
Congrats!

A Sulcata (or Burmese or Aldabra) definitely figures into my gf's life dream as well, so I know how you must have felt before getting the tort - and I look forward to knowing how you feel once you get it, too! ;)

Oh I don't think I could get anymore excited lol. I'm so anxious especially now that I have everything ready!!! I would love an Aldabra one day... Once we move to a larger house with more property....in the south...and hit the lottery hahahaha. Those suckers are expensive!!! I rescued every one of my herps with the exception of the tort. And I believe in spending more on the care (like vetting and proper housing and food and such) then on the animal itself. And even if I took an Aldabra to the vet every day I don't think it would make up for the initial cost hahaha. Although I must say this tort wasn't exactly cheap but certainly wasn't thousands of dollars. And honestly I've. Even looking for a rescued in my area for months to no avail so finally as a combo birthday and valentines day gift my fiancé got this little guy for me because he knew its been a lifelong dream of mine ( plus I think it was because I rescued our beardie for him and got him and his whole set up for him for Christmas. It was love at first sight for him so how could I say no lol I think it's because he was I such sorry shape with mbd and a crooked tail and wobbly legs that his heart went out to him and he had to make him better again. And you should see this big boy now. He's an adult and he's she'd 4 times since his Christmas and you would never know he had mbd... But I digress lol. The main point is yes I'm very excited to add his little guy to our home. Overjoyed doesn't even begin to cover it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.