I think my Desert Tortoise has died.

Wifenmomie

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My daughter and I forgot to bring our desert tortoise in after about 5 hours with no shade (he had shade in the beginning but he hasn't moved in 9 days.

Loritort

Did you consider soaking him and bringing him to the vet? That's awful!

Loritort

And you were not able to contact a veterinarian for assistance?

Wifenmomie

Southern California
I had read on here about tortoises going into a deep hybernation when you think they may be dead? We weren't sure and i some other person things going on with my family. Is tbere any way we may be able to tell? There is no smell coming from him or anything.

Loritort

Ok, you mentioned he isn't moving. How do his eyes look? Is he cold to the touch? Stiff?

Loritort

The vet should have been contacted ASAP!
Nine days is too long to wait!

Wifenmomie

Southern California
His eyes are closed. There's play in his legs and his head has popped out a bit of his she'll. It's not slumped down like droopy or protruded all the way out.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It's not likely to be alive if it has not moved at all in that time frame.

Place him upside down briefly and touch and poke his back area gently (tail and hind legs). It sounds like a ridiculous thing to do, but you should be able to easily notice the muscles contracting and relaxing by touching him in this area if he's alive.

Loritort

I've never hibernated mine so I can't say for certain but this doesn't sound good. I'm baffled that you waited nine days to ask for help.I would suggest an immediate trip to the vet. Insist that you be seen for an after hours emergency visit. Any other members wanna weigh in on this?

Wifenmomie

Southern California
Well I'm sorry but on the same day that all of this happened something traumatic happened with my daughter and my very good girlfriend (practically my sister) passed away at the age of 38, so, needless to say I was a LITTLE preoccupied, along with trying to keep my 5 kids calm, in this trying time. I will take him to the vet ASAP. Thank you.

Loritort

I'm sorry that your life is so stressful! Waiting nine days was a big mistake. I hope things work out for you and your family. Please take care:)

Wifenmomie

Southern California
And I did ask on here the first day in my introduction thread and they told me to keep an eye on him. It was something completely unexpected and I am quite surprised if he did pass as we brought him out at 8 A.M. with water, food and shade. By the time my daughter remembered him in the garden he had tracked all over the area and burrowed some. He is a desert tortoise, we live in the desert and it got up to only around 93° that day. (I say only because we easily get up over triple digits at any given time during the summer)

Loritort

I apologize I didn't see your original post. Sounds like you have a very busy, chaotic life. People aren't perfect and no-one has ALL the answers. Nine days is too long to do nothing. Again, I'm sorry for your stress and I wish you well.

nancyfurst

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm sorry for everting that happened to you.
Is your tortoise alive ?

Mary Cepeda

Fresno, CA
It's dead. I'm sorry for what has happened. I know what you mean. My 13 year old son has stage 4 cancer. He had a brain tumor in his fourth ventricle.As of 9/5/17 back in P.I.C.U . Today hes still there. I have two dogs and 3 box turtles and 2 sulcatas. I understand the difficulty but animals are part of family. I have a back up to call to have someone check on my house and animals if case of emergency. I would suggest you do the same. Captive animals depend on us like are kids do. Not all people should own animals.