I think we found a sulcata tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Wow! Are you lucky, or what? Evidently they really didn't care much for the tortoise if it was that easy to give it up. And box turtle??? I wonder if the poor tortoise was being fed fruit and worms.

Yes, it is indeed a desert tortoise. They are protected by law. It is illegal to take them from the wild or to return them to the wild. It is perfectly fine for you to have the tortoise, but please apply for a permit. It doesn't involve getting the government in your lives. All it does it put your tortoise and his registration number into a system so that if the tortoise is ever lost then found again, and his number is put into the system, he will be returned to you. No one will come out and inspect your home to be sure you're doing a good job. All it takes is sending them an application, then they send you back a little sticker just like a car license renewal sticker. Any CTTC chapter can give you the form to fill out.

One of the very best desert tortoise care sheets that I've ever read is put out by Don (I'm not sure if I ever knew his last name), and here's a link to his site:

http://www.donsdeserttortoises.com/2.html

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Great news, now comes the responsibility! As a tortoise caretaker, you have the obligation to provide the best living conditions that you can. Merely loving the tortoise is not enough. Please use this forum to obtain information to begin to correct the health problems that possibly exist with this tortoise.

Do not condem the previous owner, his knowledge level was just lacking on the elements necessary for raising a healthy tortoise. Be thankful that he had the wisdom to realize that the tortoise would be better off with someone that can provide the proper conditions.

I know you will do a wonderful job! Looking forward to seeing glowing progress reports.

Good luck.

M

Maggie Cummings

OKAY sorry of wrong advice, don't release it in the wild!
If you and your family like this tortoise then keep it, but the right thing to do is post some fliers in your neighborhood first.
About a government license, personally I would not get the government involved. I am for less government and lower taxes and everything they get their paws on gets worse, and now this police state is out of control.
It a disease of the blood called (I think) mycoplasma, somebody released a captive bred desert tortoise to the Mojave desert and it had that mycoplasma and it killed thousands of desert tortoises. Then the stupid US Army 'relocated' a lot of those that were left so they could play Army games in the tortoise area not realizing that like box turtles, desert tortoises are territorial and they gave up their lives trying to get back home. That's a real simplified answer and I am sure that my sister will correct me where I am wrong. Also, desert tortoises are not a threatened species like I said earlier, they are on the endangered list now...
The California government wants this permit for everyone of them so they can keep track of how many there are, and get your lost one back to you. It does not cost anything and the only real penalty is that's it a Federal offense to take them out of Calif... I believe there are more in captivity now then in the wild...
They are such great tortoises it's a damn shame...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
look here on the forum for the care of Calif Desert Tortoises.
Can you provide a proper, safe enclosure for it? outside? the weather there is not great for one,, but it Can be done...
Read A LOT.. if you can do it well.. do so.. if not.. place it elsewhere and look at getting a Russian.
They are great animals.. Enjoy!! oh and get the Permit!

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
I'm glad you got him back, good job and I'm sure most people here will say get a permit because it's not legal to keep one without it.

pishpash8

Michigan
Ya my sulcatta looks nothing like that.

My tortoise only has one nostril... But at least he's different! ^_^