I think we may be lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

moswen

5 Year Member
How lucky are we!!! We have just moved to our new house on 5 acres and we have a "resident" adult female ornate box turtle! We named her Tammy, but we really just call her "momma." anyways, we've seen her for several days now, can anyone tell me why she's hanging around? Also... We added to our turtle family, kaylynn now has her very own tiny baby 3 toed box turtle. she as named it Franklin, and decided that it is a GIRL. girl named Franklin. Reminds me of a song I know, about a boy named sue... Anyways, here are the pics!

This is the 3rd or 4th day we saw her, I decided to take some pics to share with you guys:
0ddd1e20.jpg

ed35b09b.jpg

Picture time's over!
9a929ad0.jpg

And this is this morn, she was on our back porch eating a dead worm:
33ca34bf.jpg

And her walking away from me, like she dies every time she sees me:
5bcdbb05.jpg

And we fed her a banana that was getting old, which she thoroughly appreciated:
dbeaf61e.jpg

6c17eeb9.jpg

And that's her! Isn't her shell so beautifully flawless for a full grown wild turtle?? And here is one pic of kaylynn's new baby turtle, Franklin:
c12f6ad2.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Awww that is a very cute baby..

Do you think the female is looking for a place to nest?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How lucky is that, to move into a new home and have a resident turtle?

If you provide food and water, she'll probably stick around. Your property must be in her territory.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Jealous! Maybe you'll find more box turtle residents over the next few years! Keep us posted on their behavior.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lucky you! What a wonderful unexpected new neighbor to have.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Consider yourself very lucky. As long as she has food, water, and places to hide, she might stay forever....who wouldn't!

moswen

5 Year Member
I know thanks guys! I live close to Tulsa. And we just ordered a bunch of screening evergreen trees and hedges (the house is right off the road) from burgess (they don't give you a guarantee ship date bc they guarantee their plants), so I REALLY hope they ship them in time for us to plant them before momma decides to hibernate! How awful would it be to dig her up!!? When do they go in for hibernation?

The funny thing about momma is that she comes right up to the house and our porch all the time; half the time we see her she's on our patio. And my husband uses the basement bathroom to get ready in the morn and he sees her walking around right outside of the bathroom window sometimes... It's pretty neat to have her around! Lol, my daughter says "that's my baby turtle's (franklin's) momma." bc we found Franklin right before we started seeing momma. I forgot to say in the origional post that we also saw an ornate box turtle male right when we first moved in, but we haven't seen him since. It's turtle city out here! We really must be lucky!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, obviously, the previous owners used to feed her. She's coming up looking for her hand-out.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
that is cool. you are definitely making me want to get a boxie or two or six!

Status
Not open for further replies.