I thought I was prepared, and I wasn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Well I set up a temporary outdoor enclosure for Carl today, in a baby pool in the back yard filled with organic potting soil, some mulch, and covered with some bird wire....

Welp, I'm a failure. Carl LOVED it, of course, he was crawling all over the place... I checked on him every 20 minutes, and eventually, I couldn't see him anymore. I figured he was burrowing. Two hours later, he's still no where in sight and I panic... I eventually decided to slowly take out all of the substrate until I found him, mixed with running around the yard like a lunatic trying to find him since he OBVIOUSLY manage to escape somehow....

I had more than half the substrate out, and still no tortoise hatchling in sight, when I FINALLY found him buried....

Needless to say, I was incredibly happy to find him... but he was not incredibly happy to see me.

So, with the story of my worried mother syndrome aside, is there a substrate that would keep Carl from digging? I know, I know, he likes to dig but he doesn't like me randomly finding him in a panicked state, and I don't like it either. He has a hide in there, I don't know why he insisted on burying himself in the most random of places.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Tortoises like to burrow. Its their nature.

IMHO, putting him on a substrate that prohibits that natural behavior would be unhealthy, and stress him out.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't use a substrate that doesn't allow him to dig. It's not just a good time for them, it's an important part of regulating their temperature.
As long as you have a secure lid, he will be okay.

I was nervous leaving my little one for the first several times, but it does get easier.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I know, but I mean something that would be less likely to burrow in. Would just straight cypress mulch work?

On a different note, maybe the question I SHOULD be asking is, how long is it considered normal for a tortoise to burrow before one should start to panic?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Now I feel bad :( My only problem is I don't want to leave him out when I leave the house or at night, so what if he's burrowed then?

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
If I need to leave, or the sun is growing down and she hasn't come up, I just dig her up and bring her in. This is only your first time putting him out. What you'll find (I bet) is that he picks favourite spots to dig down. Makes finding them a cinch.

My tortoise, for instance, is always under her water dish or below her flower pot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would just make sure there is no possible way he can get out. If he can't reach the sides, he can't get out. Unless, of course there is no bottom. Then, either put a bottom on it, or bury fencing into the ground so he can't dig out from under neither the enclosure.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
You know, Carl is going to learn how to push your buttons. Want a little entertainment? Exploding mom! All you have to do is bury yourself and wait for a while:) What if you gave him some hideys that are great but make it easier to find him? My guys were all about digging into the little spaces around the 90 year old Lilac last year, and on one of their first trips outside this spring all five were in separate little niches. I provided them with a bunker (a cement planter, on its side and dug into the ground a little, about 5 inches from the wall of the enclosure, with leaned up tiles covering the space between the planter and the wall) and a big piece of bark (about 2 square feet). The bark has soft sand underneath it and most of the time if the kids are hiding, most of them are under the bark, easy to find. They use the bunker too, but mostly as a resting spot during the day.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Edna said:
You know, Carl is going to learn how to push your buttons. Want a little entertainment? Exploding mom! All you have to do is bury yourself and wait for a while:)

Oh geez, now I'm just going to imagine that he's doing this to me on purpose every time I can't find him!!

I have since moved Carl's baby pool into a place where I feel much better leaving him alone, and I will hopefully stop being such an uptight, "no fun" mom :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
StudentoftheReptile said:
Tortoises like to burrow. Its their nature.

IMHO, putting him on a substrate that prohibits that natural behavior would be unhealthy, and stress him out.

Exactly my thoughts. Another thing is burrowing is one way they self regulate their temps a bit, especially in a small area with limited options available to them. Your just going to have to take today as a lesson. Next time don't panic. I know easier said then done, but try. Usually they start having a pattern as to where they will often head to burrow under, which will help.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It is a massive panic attack the first time, but it gets easier. My original outdoor pen was 20' long and about 8 wide at the widest point and I waited forever to put my little red-footeds out.

The first few nights, trying to find them in the twilight, even with a flashlight was a sheer horror! SO MANY HIDING PLACES! SO MANY LEAVES! I kept swearing I would mow the place flat!

But, in fairly short order, I figured out their Top Ten hiding places, and then it was safe to leave them out all night, then I just stopped worrying so much.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would suggest still burying him. I dont see most of my testudo whenever I go out to feed or whatever I'm doing. Some I dont see for at least a week and sometimes even two to three. I do dig them out just to make sure they are all doing ok though.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Sorry man, cant keep them from digging. :D. I do recommend letting dig, it makes them happier.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Laura said:
was he trying to avoid the heat? did he have access to shade? Hides?

He has two hides in there and at least half of it is shaded by the tree I put it under at all times.

Eweezyfosheezy said:
I would suggest still burying him. I dont see most of my testudo whenever I go out to feed or whatever I'm doing. Some I dont see for at least a week and sometimes even two to three. I do dig them out just to make sure they are all doing ok though.

Maybe I'm just too paranoid but at that point, how can I even be sure he's still alive!?

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Remember, these animals are built for digging. But I understand where your coming from. Not finding you tortoise in a small enclosure. I see how it can be scary; it was for me when it happened with my russain. If he is missing, you would pat down the substrate and check for any hard spots. If you feel a hard spot, its most likley your tortoise. You can also look for an entry point in the substrate. I hope this helps. But by all means, let your torts dig!!! Digging is a part of them. Its like telling humans not to laugh!!!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
futureleopardtortoise said:
Laura said:
was he trying to avoid the heat? did he have access to shade? Hides?

He has two hides in there and at least half of it is shaded by the tree I put it under at all times.

Eweezyfosheezy said:

Maybe I'm just too paranoid but at that point, how can I even be sure he's still alive!?

My post earlier should have said just let him bury himself. If you are really concerned dont make it that deep. Is he a small hatchling? If so only a few inches is needed and he can bury himself in that and will probably be showing the top of his shell in the dirt.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Sounds fine to me. They are natural diggers and Carl was exploring his new surroundings and probably cooling off.

I know it's worry some to lose sight of them, but as long as the enclosure has a bottom, and sides, he won't dig himself too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.