I used pressure treated wood and deck water sealant on inside of tortoise night box. Is that safe?

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I completely didn’t think through about pressure treated wood and using a deck water sealant on the inside of my tortoises night box. Now I’m worried she’s breathing in toxic fumes all night when it’s closed up. Should I redo it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I completely didn’t think through about pressure treated wood and using a deck water sealant on the inside of my tortoises night box. Now I’m worried she’s breathing in toxic fumes all night when it’s closed up. Should I redo it?
I have no scientific studies, but I wouldn't do it that way for just the reason you've mentioned.

If its going to be a dry box with only moderate humidity, I leave the inside plain untreated plywood. If I'm going to dampen it up and use damp substrate and keep it humid, I use Pond Shield. It is inert and completely non-toxic once cured.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I have no scientific studies, but I wouldn't do it that way for just the reason you've mentioned.
Yeah I know, now I just don’t know what to do. Completely redo it or make a wood overlay so she’s not directly on it. I can’t believe I didn’t think that one through.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah I know, now I just don’t know what to do. Completely redo it or make a wood overlay so she’s not directly on it. I can’t believe I didn’t think that one through.
The fumes won't be stopped by covering it. I'd redo it.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
The fumes won't be stopped by covering it. I'd redo it.
What about sanding it down to get the water sealant off and then just being left with the pressure treated plywood. Anything I can put on that to make it safe?

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
Cleo, I did the exact same thing you did by coating the inside of my sullys nightbox. And believe or not I said the same thing you said to yourself like what was i thinking. To remedy the situation I removed the removable roof , let it air out for a few weeks and then overlayed it with 3/8 plywood. Its been in use for two months now and no hint of fumes.I used Behr transparent wood sealing stain and coat three times.Im sure that the sealants that you use will be the determining factor but I thought I would share that experience with you . Hope it helps

Attachments

• IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    726.8 KB · Views: 7

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Cleo, I did the exact same thing you did by coating the inside of my sullys nightbox. And believe or not I said the same thing you said to yourself like what was i thinking. To remedy the situation I removed the removable roof , let it air out for a few weeks and then overlayed it with 3/8 plywood. Its been in use for two months now and no hint of fumes.I used Behr transparent wood sealing stain and coat three times.Im sure that the sealants that you use will be the determining factor but I thought I would share that experience with you . Hope it helps
Oh ok, great. Thanks for sharing!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Soooooo New pressure treated wood from a big box store is not at all like the old stuff they used to make in the old days (with arsenic). Id let the thing completely air out thoroughly for a good two weeks. I wouldnt sand anything, just out in the sun, fresh air, thoroughly cure.

Not sure what deck sealer you used, but it should have the VOC level written on the label.

➡️ VOC, or Volatile Organic Compound, is the necessary substance used to manufacture adhesives and sealants, making them fluid and workable. Once an adhesive or sealant is applied, it cures or hardens by the evaporation of the VOC, releasing substances into the air, which is why you smell an odor as the curing happens.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GLG8B8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Soooooo New pressure treated wood from a big box store is not at all like the old stuff they used to make in the old days (with arsenic). Id let the thing completely air out thoroughly for a good two weeks. I wouldnt sand anything, just out in the sun, fresh air, thoroughly cure.

Not sure what deck sealer you used, but it should have the VOC level written on the label.

➡️ VOC, or Volatile Organic Compound, is the necessary substance used to manufacture adhesives and sealants, making them fluid and workable. Once an adhesive or sealant is applied, it cures or hardens by the evaporation of the VOC, releasing substances into the air, which is why you smell an odor as the curing happens.

Every part of any of my outdoor enclosures have been made with pressure treated lumber. I've always used it and there have never been any (health) issues.
It seems to be totally safe. And it lasts a pretty long time.

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member

That’s great to hear, thank you!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Every part of any of my outdoor enclosures have been made with pressure treated lumber. I've always used it and there have never been any (health) issues.
It seems to be totally safe. And it lasts a pretty long time.
Ok great, I was really upset thinking I’d have to redo it! Thanks!

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member

I actually used the same sealer that maddoggy mentioned. The Behr waterproofing exterior wood finish. And once it’s cured will it still be fine to have the heat mat directly on it?