I want to share something with you guys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
I don't know if some of you guys remembered but I posted a thread about my tortoise being all shy and not eating by himself and I wanted to give you guys the result that has happened this week and not last week :) So first I had a bad cage for him cause it was too small so i switched it...then I changed his bedding to cypress from bark cause bark has lots of dust. Then I notice lots of results!! I would leave food in there when I bring him out to eat and leave it there and the next morning it's nearly gone! Then I had my friends sleep over and he heard a scratching noise coming from it and he started to film it and my tortoise was chewing on his food dish because he had ran out of food. AND THEN!! I saw him on his back and I was wondering how and it seems he was trying to climb his house and fell :) So usaully each morning around like 5 or 6 I would see him exploring and stuff =) I'm glad I didn't give up on him because he was being stubborn and shy and kept working on him and it was all worth it!! :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a little patience pays off.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I agree Dmmj,
And i wish mine could go outside all year but bad weather in britain mine only gets' out when the weather permits! ?

LindaF

5 Year Member
Glad to hear all is working out! Isn't it fun and heart warming to watch him explore?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
So great to hear! Don't you love when they get mischievous, thats when you know they are happily exploring :)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
glad your happy with your tort! haha you will soon learn that its almost their way or noway. Theses guys will keep you on your toes thats a fact!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Glad lto hear of the positive results. So happy you did not give up on your little guy. I think my torts amaze me more and more everyday. I worry about them not moving around when they are outside in their big enclosure, but we have had 20 consecutive days of 100 plus weather..... I have to trust them to know that they are resting, cooling off and reserving their energy.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Thanks :) I'm going to try to get my little tort another buddy or maybe even a girl friend ^_^ Also he's starting to finish all the food I give him glad he's doing that

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Patience is a virtue when dealing with torts. They do everything at a slower pace. Takes them a while to get settled in sometimes. A big part of it is the way they are treated in the first few weeks of life. I handle my hatchlings fairly often(taking pictures,cleaning enclosures,washing them,etc). I talk to everyone I ship hatchlings to,and have been told the same thing every time. "I took him out of the box,he walked over to the food and ate,and is now exploring the enclosure" is the typical response I get. Don't take this wrong,I'm not saying this to boast,just to illustrate the importance of those first few weeks of life for a tortoise. Glad to hear your little one is doing well.

Little Texas

5 Year Member
Antelope Valley
Glad to hear it all worked out. I am in a similar situation right now. My little tortoise is hiding in his hut/shelter all day long after recently being moved form another family to me. However I notice him moving around more underneath his shelter and is getting closer to actually coming out each day. Hopefully a couple more days and he will enjoy roaming his habitat.

Also for future use if you want to use bark, since it does have some much dust I normally just soak mine for about a day is plenty of water before putting it in any tank or change. Just drain out the dirty water and if need be do it again. As long as your tortoise doesn't try to eat the pieces you are typically ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.